Greens Alert - Page 118

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Aug 02, 2019, 7:30 pm

yvrdennis wrote:I just got my order of this coffee (Kenyan Nyeri Ichayama). The smell of the green coffee is amazing. It smells like cherries! I've never noticed this kind of aroma from a green coffee before. Unfortunately, that's all I get for now as my roaster died :cry:

We split a box of this. First roast was good but I wouldn't turn the table over to get after it. Am going to go less into 1st (2:00 on 1st roast) and see if I can find more nuance.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert
Supporter ♡

Postby Chert » replying to Boldjava » Aug 02, 2019, 7:55 pm

I've enjoyed mine. It reminds me of other good coffee of Kenya I have enjoyed. Cherry cordial maybe. So much good coffee from Africa.

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Aug 09, 2019, 12:40 pm

jammin wrote:Royal lists it at meticulously clean for a natural, no signs of ferment. Personally I prefer (and always have) natural Ethiopians to washed.
I'd be surprised if this was the exact same coffee over at Burmans.

Was it everything you had hoped it would be?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

jammin

Postby jammin » replying to Tonefish » Aug 09, 2019, 7:08 pm

Not sure if you had the 2017 Banko from the Crown but that's what i was hoping .. which is unfair considering that's a top 3 all time coffee for me. Other than that its def. good (I wouldn't score it over 90). Screen size is a bit mixed but it takes the heat decently. PM me for a more in depth look at it if you'd like

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Aug 14, 2019, 1:19 am

drgary wrote:I am also in on Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Natural Gr. 1 Org. Gedeb - Bedhatu Jibicho. Bought 10 lbs. from Burman's that's on the way.

Added: When I opened the parcel mailbox, the unmistakable Ethiopian greens aroma had permeated the mailbox. The shipping box was intact. I can't wait to get this roasted.

I'm still trying to dial in the Yirg and don't fault the coffee. For the first two roasts I didn't charge hot enough and may have gone too long, and it was waaay bland. Added: Reading Chris Kornman's article on density may help. On one batch, the propane flamed out at the end of the soak, so I dumped beans that had reached 228°F and cooled them before changing tanks and trying again. Fortunately these are dense beans. I'll do more tasting tomorrow. Ah, the adventure! Added: Lower charge temperatures turned out better, but more to learn.

The surprise was the Burman's 1/2 lb. sample of Tanzania RFA Edelweiss Estate Carbonic Maceration. I had it as espresso this morning, 10 days post roast. My TJ-067 doesn't easily do 232gm batches. Generally my smallest are 450gm. The result, though, is malty milk chocolate, moderate stone fruit, rich mouthfeel, smooth, well balanced. This lines up with their taste profile. With numbers rounded, my roast showed:

3:48 dry end: 300°F/149°C
7:54 1C: 394°F/201°C
9:53 end of roast: 430°F/221°C
Weight loss was 15.7%.

I believe my BT thermocouple readings are high. (The Yirg hits 1C in my setup at 399°F, where it hit 1C on the Royal Probatino at 394°F. Roasting gear varies so much that Royal shows 1C at 379°F for the Quest M3S roaster.)

For your amusement, I'm calling this ROR a "roller coaster curve" and am guessing the wild fluctuations are an instrumental anomaly (small batch size), but I was chasing declining ROR (futilely?) with the many power adjustments you see. Anyway, I pulled this one out of a hat.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dukedevil0

Postby dukedevil0 » Aug 14, 2019, 8:19 pm

This crown jewel sounds really good. Thoughts?

ETHIOPIA HALO BARITI ADISU KIDANE RAISED BED NATURAL CROWN JEWEL
https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1307/

Madman13

Postby Madman13 » replying to dukedevil0 » Aug 15, 2019, 1:14 pm

From Crown Royal:
"Adisu Kidane is a boozeberry bomb. Its character is unsubtle."

Sounds interesting to me, anyone have any experience with this coffee?

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Aug 15, 2019, 1:25 pm

The Crown analysis on that one is a good read. If you're interested in splitting a shipment I expect you would have takers if you post in Buy/Sell.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Aug 17, 2019, 1:30 pm

Anyone tried this natural processed El Salvador from Sweet Maria's? They described it as having bold blueberry and blackberry flavors.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/el-salvador ... -6139.html

dukedevil0

Postby dukedevil0 » replying to RobertL » Aug 18, 2019, 9:52 am

That one caught my eye too. Would love to hear some feedback if anyone else tries it out.