Greens Alert - Page 113

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
[creative nickname]

#1121: Post by [creative nickname] »

I was very interested in that one as well! You could count me in for 5-10 pounds, depending on how many other buyers jump on board.
LMWDP #435

edpiep

#1122: Post by edpiep »

Bunkmil wrote:Tom please comment the coffee once you give it a try.

I will be in the US shortly so this will be my chance to order from Sweet Maria's without paying the crazy international shipping rate. Also if you guys have any suggestions from their current offerings please let me know!
Couldn't agree more about washed, high quality Indos, some of the most memorable cups I have had include them.

David, you headed to EXPO then? In terms of some quality SM options up right now, this Ethiopian Agaro just came back up and I have been going through 10# of it with pleasure. Not sure if you like washed Ethiopians but this one is really interesting IMO. It has some strong hop notes and a really nice milky caramel finish. It's not fruit dominant at all instead more bright, citrus notes with some really soft blueberry and floral undertones.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-ag ... -2018.html

Birdcollin

#1123: Post by Birdcollin »

I already ordered a box. If u would like, I will sell u some??
Jason

Birdcollin

#1124: Post by Birdcollin »

Has anyone any experience with Sumatra Aceh Gold? I noticed the offering from Happy Mug.

dale_cooper

#1125: Post by dale_cooper replying to Birdcollin »

I bought this year's offering but haven't roasted it yet. Prior years, I've....loved....it....

I still don't know why high end sumatras don't get more love on here. They're not too difficult to roast and are much easier to brew. Just very satisfying and comforting to drink.

johnny4lsu

#1126: Post by johnny4lsu »

A lot of people don't care for the flavor profile of the majority of Sumatras. I've had a few delicious ones though. Not many.

crunchybean

#1127: Post by crunchybean replying to johnny4lsu »

If it's because of the "funk" then I think it's because people don't sort through and take out defects well enough. I just sorted through 300g and it took almost a whole episode of "24". Hopefully in time Sumatras will be just as clean as my experience with Ethiopians and Guats.

dale_cooper

#1128: Post by dale_cooper »

johnny4lsu wrote:A lot of people don't care for the flavor profile of the majority of Sumatras. I've had a few delicious ones though. Not many.
These sumatras don't have many defects and as far as the flavor profile - what is it that you don't like?

I like the lower acidity which highlights the weird complexity of cedar and fruit that comes out. Freaking deliciously satisfying and way different than chasing the tail of a properly roasted light roast of another origin where you're trying to hit the bullseye on roasting and extraction of high acidity, bright, sweet, fruity .

Birdcollin

#1129: Post by Birdcollin replying to dale_cooper »

1st roast is a city++ Juicy Cedar. Almost melts in your mouth. Very clean. Smooth thick body. Definite winner. I'm hoping to use this in espresso blends as well

dale_cooper

#1130: Post by dale_cooper replying to Birdcollin »

Hahah wow, you must've just ordered or already had ordered?

City+ to Full city is generally what I go for. Maybe 2:15-3:00 of development.

I'm glad you enjoy it, and I'm not surprised. Those sumatras are immensely satisfying. I've actually gotten a lot of gems from happy mug