Greens Alert - Page 111

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jammin

Postby jammin » Jan 12, 2019, 1:16 pm

Yellow Bourbon Guat @ SM's. Ought to make a darn fine shot https://www.sweetmarias.com/guatemala-f ... urbon.html

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to jammin » Jan 14, 2019, 4:26 pm

"Ought to make" ain't good enough for ME, pal!! :lol:
Buy, it try it and report back here ON THE DOUBLE!!!! :lol:
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

jammin

Postby jammin » replying to IMAWriter » Jan 14, 2019, 10:01 pm

totally with you on this but good coffees seem to sell out before anyone has a chance to hear if they really are good or not :?

chris_n

Postby chris_n » Jan 15, 2019, 12:32 am

speaking of sold out, if any of you got the 'wolichu wachu' from SM/shrub

it's a banger.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » replying to chris_n » Jan 15, 2019, 10:41 am

Coffee with this level of sweetness is rather elusive. I bought 5 pounds that I'll ration out slowly for some time. I made one brew recipe in the Voga Ground Control Cyclops brewer Im reviewing at the moment, no tweaks to the profile, just piggy-backing off of a natural geisha from Panama that I've been dialing in. Anyway, last night, I had another coffee drinker in the house, my girlfriends younger brother. This emboldened my girlfriend to try a cup of straight black coffee (she only drinks milky espresso drinks by and large).

All three of us were overwhelmed with the imposing, monumental sweetness it was delivering. And I didn't even get the roast quite right. The acidity integrates very well, bringing that cool soothing sweetness high up into the mouth where it's enveloping sweet nature could impact the cup.

On my first profile I let everything roll gentle so as to have a well developed roast, with barely any time in p1stC DEV tim. I landed with 13.5 % weight loss which would inform me that I didn't actually underdeveloped the roast, since I didn't chase a lot of post first crack time.

I know I'd have tame the acids that pair so well with all that sweetness.

Next shot at it will get a hotter charge, slightly less lag in the ramp, and a finish that hopefully results in a longer pre-first crack phase (albeit short) and then ending the roast very light.

:shock: Apologies. I edited out about a handful of Ambien- induced blather and typos!

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Jan 15, 2019, 10:56 am

Now you're just being mean Tom....

Sounds amazing, very jealous.

Aguirre

Postby Aguirre » Jan 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

chris_n wrote:speaking of sold out, if any of you got the 'wolichu wachu' from SM/shrub

it's a banger.

I got these but haven't roasted yet. Any suggested profile?

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't read Tom's post. Looks like I DO have a suggested profile :):):)

LCProaster

Postby LCProaster » Jan 15, 2019, 4:17 pm

It appears that MillCity has this same bean in stock.

johnny4lsu

Postby johnny4lsu » Jan 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Is it identical?

Wanderratte

Postby Wanderratte » Jan 15, 2019, 7:11 pm

looks like the same. The problem I don't need 10 lb :(