Greens Alert - Page 109

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IMAWriter

#1081: Post by IMAWriter »

chris_n wrote:panama elida has sucked pretty hard for the past few years i find it difficult to pay the high price for it now...
Compared to the Blackberry-ish bomb it was about 4 years ago, agree.The natural was an awesome pour-over coffee. Made the Kalita sing.

Chert

#1082: Post by Chert »

coffeemmichael wrote:Royal delivers two more potential goodies from granja la esperanza......

https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1240/
https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1239/

Natural Laurina & a unique processing of bourbon ala the "XO" from earlier this year
I have a box of the bourbon noir (second link) on the way. I am curious if anyone has had any and can comment. I'm looking forward to a new crown jewel to work with as my last box, Guate Antigua Pedro Zalaya is on the way out.
LMWDP #198

GC7

#1083: Post by GC7 replying to Chert »

That Colombian bourbon looks wonderful. I have been peeking at that link for a bit now but 22 lb. is way too much for me and keeps me away from the Crown Jewel offerings. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing how you are enjoying it.

Chert

#1084: Post by Chert »

GC7 wrote:That Colombian bourbon looks wonderful. I have been peaking at that link for a bit now but 22 lb. is way too much for me and keeps me away from the Crown Jewel offerings. Enjoy and I look forward to hearing how you are enjoying it.
My first roast I am drinking now by a Kalita 1:16 pourover. It reminds me of winepoached pears. The aroma and flavors are more like the Yirgacheffe dumerso I had earlier this year, a natural process, than the centrals and washed african coffees I have had of late. I know I will enjoy trying it with less and more development in the roaster as well.
LMWDP #198

GC7

#1085: Post by GC7 replying to Chert »

Thank you for sharing some of these greens and for a bit of your first roast. I think you nailed it. I brewed 24 grams in the clever dripper (16:1) with a 3 minute steep time. The dense winey flavors are up front and I can see where you are reminded of african coffees. I can't distinguish pear but my palate detects additional fruity (not berry) undertones. This is denser and cleaner than any DP african. Wonderful coffee. I think I might try it a bit lighter with my first roast. My Klatch Roasters United Colombian is roasted lighter but not nearly as complex with more cocoa. It is very nice and enjoyable but would not score near this offering.

[creative nickname]

#1086: Post by [creative nickname] »

If anyone has extra of the bourbon noir to sell, or wants to go in together to split a box from Royal, PM me!
LMWDP #435

GC7

#1087: Post by GC7 »

Chert had me thinking of what other coffees the Crown Jewel Colombian Bourbon Noir resembled in flavors. I am reminded of the Brazilian SItio Baixadao from Roastmasters. This one has the same dense winey up front flavor with complex undertones. The Colombian has more acidity leading to a different mouthfeel for me but I believe they are similar and both top tier. I will have to take a bit out of the vacsealed bag and compare the two.

Chert

#1088: Post by Chert »

[creative nickname] wrote:If anyone has extra of the bourbon noir to sell, or wants to go in together to split a box from Royal, PM me!
I will be happy to help you with that, but perhaps someone else will want to jump and share the wealth. This is one of those greens, almost a shame to roast, they smell so good in the green stage. I'm roasting a batch to lighter development.
LMWDP #198

bradenl123

#1089: Post by bradenl123 »

I could jump in and share the wealth.

Braden

Chert

#1090: Post by Chert »

Yeah, probably time to start a new thread. That bourbon noir I roasted yesterday is in the cup now, James Hoffman french press method. I thought 16% development would eliminate some of the complexity of chocolate/caramels I got from my first and more medium roast, but not really, fruit fruit fruit and lingering chocolates sweet complexity. The long steep of this brew method also yields a nice body.
LMWDP #198