Greens Alert - Page 104

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IMAWriter

#1031: Post by IMAWriter »

farmroast wrote:I think it was later that year that Tom then had the 1st and best of the misty valley. Lots of great lots pre-ecx that I think was '08. Many less buyers back then too.
Just roasted a couple batches of the Hambella tonight
Hey Ed!. Not sure why..and I wrong all too often, but I think the Misty Valley was a couple years later. Again, memory fails, though theStrawberry and and other stuff in the Misty Valley linger in my mind.

chris_n

#1032: Post by chris_n replying to IMAWriter »

i wonder if it's something over the years that has changed at the farm level or if it's a change in process at the mill level that has caused this shift from pungent berries to tropical fruit high notes.

farmroast (original poster)

#1033: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

chris_n wrote:i wonder if it's something over the years that has changed ....
There is a lot of luck in a strong blueberry without too much overpowering funk. Safer to try to go cleaner with some blueberry, strawberry etc. when doing DP. These can also be exceptable for those who generally prefer a WP.
So many more hunting special lots than there was 10+ years ago.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

boiler1

#1034: Post by boiler1 »

farmroast wrote:The yirg and guji WP.? Would appreciate hearing about them. Been holding out on a wp to pack away, see what else shows up with lots still arriving.
Still have a little of the Brazil Sitio Baixadao
I'm not sure that these coffees Burman is selling are the same lot as the Crown Jewels, but I find the flavor pretty well lines up with the Alemu Bukato and the Guji Uraga/Tomme Feku CJ notes. Both are very nice, but my preference is a bit more towards the Uraga with it's balanced peach notes, at least for my first couple roasts of it. I think Roasty said in a previous post that it was a good daily drinker and I would absolutely concur. I still prefer the Baraka Buna from last year, but i think I can say it is my favorite coffee since that one. YMMV

GC7

#1035: Post by GC7 »

IMAWriter wrote:Hey Ed!. Not sure why..and I wrong all too often, but I think the Misty Valley was a couple years later. Again, memory fails, though theStrawberry and and other stuff in the Misty Valley linger in my mind.
Rob- the Misty Valley of my dreams was 2008. I remember for a couple of reasons

1- a local roaster, Coffee Labs in Tarrytown NY where I shopped on occasion at the time said "this is a bit more expensive but believe me it's worth it". I took it home and remember the date I was hooked on "exotic" coffees.

2- Later that year I was in SF to give a talk at a meeting and I went to Blue Bottle by the Mint every day. They were offering SO Misty Valley espresso. I went home and bought my espresso equipment based on those heavenly shots. That was 2008.

Finally, it was when I registered as a used here on HB.

I will report on the Burman wet process Ethiopians when I get them but the reviews seem pretty good.

I sure wish Roastmasters could get their hands on more Brazil Sitio Baixadao. It's the best Brazil I've ever tasted by a lot. I defrosted a bag today for this coming week.

farmroast (original poster)

#1036: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Nostalgia, Here's an old pic soon after I started vac sealing greens, the half gallon jar is the first Sweet Marias lot of Abdullah Bagersh's IMV. in '06
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

marista

#1037: Post by marista »

boiler1 wrote:I'm not sure that these coffees Burman is selling are the same lot as the Crown Jewels, but I find the flavor pretty well lines up with the Alemu Bukato and the Guji Uraga/Tomme Feku CJ notes. Both are very nice, but my preference is a bit more towards the Uraga with it's balanced peach notes, at least for my first couple roasts of it. I think Roasty said in a previous post that it was a good daily drinker and I would absolutely concur. I still prefer the Baraka Buna from last year, but i think I can say it is my favorite coffee since that one. YMMV
i would certainly agree with the Uraga, i got prominent juicy white peach notes from it. Also the florals are more upfront, bit like lilac/lavender to me. the Alemu is more subtle in its flavours, doesn't blast you in the face but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. in fact i do love it as a daily drinking coffee since its so gentle. most enjoyable thing about it is its beautiful jasmine florals that emerge in the finish (and hang around in the retronasal), especially as the coffee cools. something to enjoy slowly for sure. i'm roasting on a Santoker R300 and happy to share artisan roast profiles if anyone wants to further discuss these coffees!

Boldjava

#1038: Post by Boldjava »

farmroast wrote:Nostalgia, Here's an old pic soon after I started vac sealing greens, the half gallon jar is the first Sweet Marias lot of Abdullah Bagersh's IMV. in '06
Didn't know they had cameras back then Ed.
-----
LMWDP #339

IMAWriter

#1039: Post by IMAWriter replying to Boldjava »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chert

#1040: Post by Chert »

farmroast wrote:Nostalgia, Here's an old pic soon after I started vac sealing greens, the half gallon jar is the first Sweet Marias lot of Abdullah Bagersh's IMV. in '06 <image>
Interesting. I have that setup as well. How long do you store green coffee, vac-packed?

And while I am asking, Ed, Do any of the current crop Kenya stand out for a prospective buyer? I'd be interested to know.
LMWDP #198