Greens Alert - Page 102

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Jul 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

coffeemmichael wrote:SM just put up a 93.6 Ethiopian natural..... picked up 10lbs

Thanks for the heads up. In for 10# too.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Jul 13, 2018, 9:57 pm

I bet we'll see this coffee popping up at a lot of small roasters via Shrub, it jumps out at you just a tad more impressive because I believe they always report scores rounded to the nearest whole number, so not many roasters (who can afford it) are going to miss a 94 point fresh crop Ethiopian. Looks like they have 6000 kilos, much more than I expected. Mine will be here in the morning. I'll be deep freezing at least 8 pounds.

jammin

Postby jammin » Jul 13, 2018, 10:17 pm

^did shrub sell out? I was hoping to let a new micro roaster in town know in hopes of them pouring me a shot on their Bosco :D

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » replying to jammin » Jul 14, 2018, 4:40 am

It still shows up on their site. When I got the email notification from Shrub this morning, it was listed as a 94 point coffee in the title but they do show it with the same score as SM once you follow the link. Not that half a point makes much of a difference, but I thought it was interesting. I don't mind Tom's scoring method, since it's also transparent. I don't correlate them too strongly to SCA cupping scores, but I bet they're quite close.

Just seeing something that he and his panel scored nearly perfect on flavor, complexity and aroma practically give me shivers. For under $7.

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Jul 14, 2018, 2:29 pm

I purchase less than 2 days ago...10#s of the Hambela. You mentioned Tom's scoring as to natural Ethiopians. I was always under the impression he was not as enamored with them and scored wet process higher?
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » replying to IMAWriter » Jul 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Historically, he's always seems to have scored natural Ethiopians about 2.5-3 points higher than what they seem. Dustin and I used to laugh about it all the time. They were incredible coffees though!

barqy

Postby barqy » Jul 14, 2018, 3:57 pm

IMAWriter wrote:I purchase less than 2 days ago...10#s of the Hambela. You mentioned Tom's scoring as to natural Ethiopians. I was always under the impression he was not as enamored with them and scored wet process higher?

Please post your cupping notes when you get them! Decided to jump on this offering as well.

Cheers

chris_n

Postby chris_n » Jul 16, 2018, 2:09 am

IMAWriter wrote:I purchase less than 2 days ago...10#s of the Hambela. You mentioned Tom's scoring as to natural Ethiopians. I was always under the impression he was not as enamored with them and scored wet process higher?

it's good, but don't expect the berry bombs of the past :)

still this has decent berry flavors ---in the background of tropical fruit flavors on the main stage.

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to chris_n » Jul 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

I don't. Interestingly, I just PM'd Tom C regarding the TREMENDOUSLY berry-filled...and famous to us older guys Sweet Maria's "Lot 30" MAO Harar.
MAO standing for Mohammad A Ogsadey, a giant in the Ethiopian coffee trade...a pioneer for improving quality, especially as regards Harar. He is no longer with us, and though his family carries on, sadly there has been no real great quality Harar.

4 years ago, there was a Panama Elida DP that was a blackberry bomb, but still, not to the extent of that Lot 30...which was about in my Chemex 10-11 years ago, I believe. Apologies for the OT. Back on topic:
Chris (and anyone else): how long do you like the Hambela to remain in development...I can't really measure by temperature, as neither the Behmor 1600+ nor Convection combo give me that exact feedback...an approximate time/temperature setting would be helpful though! Again, apologies for not being able to accurately relate with those having pro or semi pro roasting gear.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

chris_n

Postby chris_n » replying to IMAWriter » Jul 16, 2018, 7:17 pm

i roasted a few samples from this lot a couple months ago and left it in development for <1:30 same as all my other ethiopian naturals, dropped toward mid/late 1st crack to get the notes i described above.