Green Beans from Nepal - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bobpaule

#11: Post by bobpaule »

Exciting news, I am a high altitude hard bean guy myself, using only Yemen Mokha Matari for several years now looking for some diversity.
Never get between a man and his ristretto, ever!

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Here's an update. This is a coffee worth exploring. I did a test roast a couple of days ago, taking it just into 2C and pulling samples along the way that I haven't yet tried. Even though it is only two days post roast, I pulled a couple of shots on a PID temperature controlled Caravel. This is the sweetest coffee I've ever tasted and it's rich in flavor. There's a bit of a rustic taste but not nearly as intense that way as a Sumatran. The greens are medium size and medium density at 0.66 gm/ml.

The ordered two different greens, and the one I tested is the Syangja.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

After tasting the samples, this was best as a dark roast, and I did a second roast further past second crack, about 20-25 seconds past 2C start and yielding lovely sweetness, distillates, fennel and cacao.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Later I did a much lighter roast, totaling 8 minutes, 4 minutes to dry, 3 minutes to FC, 1 min in 1C, dropping about 20°F after start of 1C, 15.7% (maybe mismeasured) moisture loss. It's just beginning to be drinkable, has a good balance of development and acidity. There's a sweetness and intensity to this green that I really like. I think it's going to work as a City roast or even a touch lighter. I'll offer tasting notes after it has more time to rest.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Andy

#15: Post by Andy »

drgary, 15.7% seems very high moisture loss for such a light roast; is that correct? Anyway, I'm intrigued enough to order some of each of their 3 green offerings.

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

It does. I might have mismeasured on my fumbly balance scale with weights. I hope to taste it again tomorrow, 8 days post roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Now that the my light roast has had time to rest, it's really nice as espresso, downdosed, pulled hot (no cooling flush with my Olympia Express Coffex "dragon" HX). There is fruity/malty sweetness, spice/earthiness, reminiscent of a Yemen coffee. It's now 14 days post roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by TenLayers »

I'm sorta digging the Nepal-ness. Got some https://bhavanacoffee.com/collections/c ... am-nepal-1 and it's got this taste I just can't put a name to it. Maybe like a shale. Or earthy pebbles. It's intriguing whatever it is but since I literally live around the corner from Sweet Maria's and walk in to pick up my orders without incurring shipping costs, the Nepal stuff will be a once in awhile purchase.