"Good for Espresso" - Ease in Finding What You Like?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I have been partial to Sweet Marias Good For Espresso filter for identifying the coffees it feels are, well, good for espresso, and their flavor wheel depictions.

I have recently looked at Coffee Bean Corral and CopanTrade. Neither of these seem to indicate which they feel makes good espresso. I do give CBC credit for their Matrix search feature.

I don't seen any espresso filter at Burman, Bohdi or Roastmasters either.

Am I missing a search feature?

How do you any of you buying from these sellers and looking for espresso go about making your choices?
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

IMO there all just that, opinions. I'll pull anything through the Robot.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#3: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

It is all subjective and dependent on the end user. What sellers are doing is identifying the traits 'most' probably look for when they think of espresso. Of course YMMV and you should be aware of what you like.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

True, and I roast very light by traditional espresso standards. I was just looking to see if any other green sellers did the same - identify some traits. It's hard to wade through the coffee offering one by one, so I was hoping that someone looking for espresso from these other sellers had some method of identifying the ones good for espresso.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I check this thread for ideas: Greens Alert
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

thirdcrackfourthwave

#6: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: True, and I roast very light by traditional espresso standards. I was just looking to see if any other green sellers did the same - identify some traits. It's hard to wade through the coffee offering one by one, so I was hoping that someone looking for espresso from these other sellers had some method of identifying the ones good for espresso.
I wholeheartedly agree if you are saying some of these folks need better search filters.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

yakster wrote:I check this thread for ideas: Greens Alert

Chris I do too. Doesn't mean its for espresso. Wish there were a Greens Alert - Espresso thread. Maybe I'll just start asking people to clarify. Thanks.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___

jacob.kole
Supporter

#8: Post by jacob.kole »

Everything is fair game for espresso for me. My roasts are generally dual purpose, so if it didn't work as espresso, I'd just use it for drip/pour over. A lot of people associate espresso with the roast and flavor profile of Italian espresso, so in that case, the filter wouldn't do much good for me anyways since that's not really what I'm interested in. The only caveat is body, but you could blend with another bean to boost body if you needed to.

ojt

#9: Post by ojt »

I don't roast myself but I think I can still say anything goes for espesso, as others have said. I myself enjoy the very very light roasts as espresso, and have had pretty much everything from guatemala to kenya and in between. Some of them I like, some I don't. I don't know what would be the characteristic to check when searching green beans, would be interested to know though. With roasted beans I look for flavor notes for a general idea of the taste, and if it says "espresso" in it I usually don't buy it and go for filter instead. Except for cappuccino beans, which I like in the more "traditional" spectrum.
Osku

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

This thread has been useful.

So what I have learned.

Sweet Marias and Coffee Bean Corral are the two that I see that have useful filters. Are people aware of other sellers with robust filters?

I need to figure out what filters I am interested in rather than a label like Good for Espresso.

Clearly Body and Cocoa or Chocolaty are two. I will have to focus more on the other choices.

Coffee Bean Corral Matrix below

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___