"Good for Espresso" - Ease in Finding What You Like? - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Brewzologist »

Almico wrote:Panama Elida Nat develops very quickly in the roaster. I drop around 385*, or 15* above 1C. 14% DTR. 10:00 total roast time.

2:1 is too much for me. I do a full 3:1. If you want to use 18g doses, you need 54g out. I use 15g double baskets on my levers. 15g in, 45 out for doubles, but I mostly drink light roasted espresso as singles-7.5g in, 21 out. I'll grind a little on the finer side and use the lever to force the preinfusion. After I see a few drips, I'll pull the lever again and let the puck sit and soak for as long as I have patience before I let it go.
Thanks Al. The Elida Nat roast I have currently is 25F above 1C, 25% DTR, 10:17 total, which is more of a medium compared to your roast! :) I've been using a similar preinfusion technique and will try the 3:1 to see if it's less intense for me. Appreciate the tips!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#32: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Sweet Marias put a blog post explaining their Charts and Flavor Wheel.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Brewzologist »

Almico wrote:Panama Elida Nat develops very quickly in the roaster. I drop around 385*, or 15* above 1C. 14% DTR. 10:00 total roast time.

2:1 is too much for me. I do a full 3:1. If you want to use 18g doses, you need 54g out. I use 15g double baskets on my levers. 15g in, 45 out for doubles, but I mostly drink light roasted espresso as singles-7.5g in, 21 out. I'll grind a little on the finer side and use the lever to force the preinfusion. After I see a few drips, I'll pull the lever again and let the puck sit and soak for as long as I have patience before I let it go.
I stand corrected on my initial dislike of Elida Nat as espresso. I went with your suggestion of a 3:1 (18g/54g) using a 20 sec preinfusion followed by 6bar declining pull for ~40sec. Much nicer! Thx.

GC7

#34: Post by GC7 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Sweet Marias put a blog post explaining their Charts and Flavor Wheel.
This was a good read. Nothing really new for me but it reinforced my understanding how they do things at SM.

#35: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Alan you may have posted this elsewhere, but can you post a profile of this one. I just ordered some of the Klatch variety. I'd like to leverage your wisdom on it, or maybe even start a new thread on it alone.
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#36: Post by Almico »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote: Alan you may have posted this elsewhere, but can you post a profile of this one. I just ordered some of the Klatch variety. I'd like to leverage your wisdom on it, or maybe even start a new thread on it alone.
This was the last roast I did that came out surprisingly well. I'm playing with this roast profile now, and experimenting with which RoR level to add the bit of heat that levels the RoR curve. If I let the RoR continue to drop at the ramp slope, it will hit 0 RoR is too shot a time and the roast will not finish. If I stop the steep slow too soon, the end heat will be too much and the drop temp will be too high. The key in my current state of mind is to find the RoR plateau that will finish the roast at about 12% DTR at about 10-12* above 1C temp.

On this roast the RoR maintained about 17*/min till the end and came out quite well. 388 is a bit hot, so next time I will try 15* RoR.

This is my typical roast profile:

#37: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

So the first is the Panama and the second is a normal Brazil?
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#38: Post by Almico replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

The 2nd is the template I use to roast a light Brazil as well as the Panama.

jacob.kole

#39: Post by jacob.kole »

Almico wrote:This was the last roast I did that came out surprisingly well. I'm playing with this roast profile now, and experimenting with which RoR level to add the bit of heat that levels the RoR curve. If I let the RoR continue to drop at the ramp slope, it will hit 0 RoR is too shot a time and the roast will not finish. If I stop the steep slow too soon, the end heat will be too much and the drop temp will be too high. The key in my current state of mind is to find the RoR plateau that will finish the roast at about 12% DTR at about 10-12* above 1C temp.

On this roast the RoR maintained about 17*/min till the end and came out quite well. 388 is a bit hot, so next time I will try 15* RoR.
Isn't a flat RoR going to lead to some baking? I understand your thought process with this profile, just curious how it doesn't introduce defects given that it somewhat bucks the current paradigm.

Almico

#40: Post by Almico replying to jacob.kole »

This profile was an accident. I cut the heat too much before dry end and the RoR started tanking. I gave it a tiny gas boost and this was the result. The surprise was how great the coffee tasted.

As far as the baking question, I believe the answer is not necessarily. Baking occurs if too much heat is allowed to carry into 1C, resulting in a short, pre-1C plateau followed by an aggressive crash. It is the crash that robs the sweetness and dynamics and leaves that "hole in the donut" taste vacancy. I also believe an overly extended Maillard can yield some baked flavors as well.

In this roast, there was no post 1C crash.