General question about the Artisan plots I see here on HB?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonefish

#1: Post by Tonefish »

Hello fellow roasters, I'm curious about the airflow and gas pressure related information I see on the Artisan plots here. I've been doing a lot of research on the sample sized roaster options, and I haven't seen anything about how these two parameters may be captured in Artisan. Are the air flow and gas pressure typically entered by setting up buttons of varying settings and just pressing the buttons when you make a manual fan/damper or gas valve change, or is this information sent by some kind of sensor?

Thank you and best of success on your roasts!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

Tonefish wrote: Are the air flow and gas pressure typically entered by setting up buttons of varying settings and just pressing the buttons when you make a manual fan/damper or gas valve change
Exactly.

Tonefish (original poster)

#3: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to SJM »

Thank You Susan!

Rush

#4: Post by Rush »

Tonefish wrote:Hello fellow roasters, I'm curious about the airflow and gas pressure related information I see on the Artisan plots here. I've been doing a lot of research on the sample sized roaster options, and I haven't seen anything about how these two parameters may be captured in Artisan. Are the air flow and gas pressure typically entered by setting up buttons of varying settings and just pressing the buttons when you make a manual fan/damper or gas valve change, or is this information sent by some kind of sensor?

Thank you and best of success on your roasts!
Others above are correct, that is one way to do it. There are a plethora of other methods that are automatically captured via one or more of the many devices supported by Artisan. The Artisan blog has all of the info needed to give you an idea of what can be done. There is a somewhat steep learning curve, but it is just a matter of reading really.

https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

Correct.
Air flow data on my HUKY is now being captured by Artisan via a combination of a Phidgets 1136 and a Phidgets 1011.
However, it took me as long to figure out how to do that as it took me to learn to roast....

#6: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Rush wrote:Others above are correct, that is one way to do it. There are a plethora of other methods that are automatically captured via one or more of the many devices supported by Artisan. The Artisan blog has all of the info needed to give you an idea of what can be done. There is a somewhat steep learning curve, but it is just a matter of reading really.

https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.com
Thanks Rush! Yeah, I hit the Artisan blog before posting the question. I don't mind reading at all, but sometimes it is so hard to find the information that it is worth asking about. So have you used any of these methods you mention?

After reading your post I went back to the Artisan blog and searched for "gas pressure" and there was only one post returned, titled "Event Quantifiers." It didn't talk about any of the equipment you might use to do this, it only showed how to use Artisan once you get the data there.

#7: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

SJM wrote:Correct.
Air flow data on my HUKY is now being captured by Artisan via a combination of a Phidgets 1136 and a Phidgets 1011.
However, it took me as long to figure out how to do that as it took me to learn to roast....
Exactly! :D

SJM

#8: Post by SJM »

My point is/was that the first setting up you have to do is easy and well documented if you look around.
The next level took me a long time because 1) it is not necessary, and 2) the math was hard for me.

Also, if/as/when you do searches, it would probably help if you were to call them 'profiles' not 'plots'.

Rush

#9: Post by Rush »

Tonefish wrote:Thanks Rush! Yeah, I hit the Artisan blog before posting the question. I don't mind reading at all, but sometimes it is so hard to find the information that it is worth asking about. So have you used any of these methods you mention?

After reading your post I went back to the Artisan blog and searched for "gas pressure" and there was only one post returned, titled "Event Quantifiers." It didn't talk about any of the equipment you might use to do this, it only showed how to use Artisan once you get the data there.
The options are almost limitless, because you are not talking about one specific roaster. As an example, my personal setup is a phidgets 1048 for capturing temp data, and a phidgets 8/8/8 controlling an SSR for my electric elements, plus a phidgets servo controller to control a linear actuator for my damper. I had to write a small program to handle the airflow and duty cycle via serial comms from Artisan.

But I could just as easily controlled a gas roaster with a needle valve controlled by a stepper motor, or linear actuator on a quarter turn (ball) valve. Again, the options are limitless.

The easiest to implement are the ones with specific documentation like the Hottop, FZ-94, Probatone, any that work with the Arduino TC4, etc.

If you find any roasters that look appealing, we could suggest ways to capture and control the settings of the roaster from Artisan.

#10: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

SJM wrote:My point is/was that the first setting up you have to do is easy and well documented if you look around.
The next level took me a long time because 1) it is not necessary, and 2) the math was hard for me.

Also, if/as/when you do searches, it would probably help if you were to call them 'profiles' not 'plots'.
Got it. Right, "profiles." Thanks Susan!
Rush wrote:The options are almost limitless, because you are not talking about one specific roaster. As an example, my personal setup is a phidgets 1048 for capturing temp data, and a phidgets 8/8/8 controlling an SSR for my electric elements, plus a phidgets servo controller to control a linear actuator for my damper. I had to write a small program to handle the airflow and duty cycle via serial comms from Artisan.
I hear yah! Susan got me digging into those other phidgets and I poked around there more and saw some of those sensors you mention. Not sure what is SSR though (solid state relay maybe?).
Rush wrote:But I could just as easily controlled a gas roaster with a needle valve controlled by a stepper motor, or linear actuator on a quarter turn (ball) valve. Again, the options are limitless.

I see. Thanks!
Rush wrote:If you find any roasters that look appealing, we could suggest ways to capture and control the settings of the roaster from Artisan
That would be awesome. Thank You!