Fridays Roasting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Yemen & Panamanian. 200g. What do you think?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Couple of Artisan tips -

Use Roast Properties to list the actual Coffee Name which will show up at the top. You can also put in the charge weight which will show up in the white box.

Overall they look pretty good. I am still wondering why your ET crosses over BT so quickly?

Seems like you are adding gas and then using air to blow that heat out and reaching FCs very quickly.

In my protocol, after a one min soak I start with 75-90% of my max gas. Between 300-350 I am reducing that to around 60% of the gas after soak. I generally shoot for a DE around 4:30-5 and FC between 8-10min. Your roasts are much faster so not sure of the impact that causes. Yet if you are happy with the coffee then all is well.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

Think you should up the charge weight at least into the 300g-400g range; it should be easier to manage heat settings.

edpiep

#4: Post by edpiep »

Are you wanting to roast 200g batches for a reason? If not then I agree with Hank, bigger is better for easy gas control. I roast 100g batches only to emulate sample roast specs.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Guess that's the cheap SOB in me. I'll increase charge weight. Michael, haven't a clue as to why ET crosses BT so soon and yes, I made a mistake of upping gas and tried to correct with air. I'll be happy with my coffee when I master my machine. Seem like gas adjustments are the way to go with small adjustments. yemen tasted decent with 1/2 hrs. rest

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

I did the same thing when I started roasting. Tried to learn with small batches so as not to waste precious beans. Unfortunately (as has already been suggested) it doesn't work that way. With the HUKY it really needed 350-380 grams to work well. I don't know what the 'sweet spot' is with your Buckeye, but it would be easier for you to drive her with an appropriate load. Conventional wisdom (whatever that is) suggests about 3/4 of what the roaster is rated for, which is why the HUKY 500 does her best at about 350-380. Once you have mastered that size charge weight you can probably adjust what you have learned to roast smaller (or larger) batches if you still want to, but for learning? .... you are wasting precious time -- and beans.

Also wasteful is buying beans that you don't really want to drink. As the old saying goes, 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'. Buy good beans.....not the most expensive, but reliably good....or you won't know if your roasts have succeeded or not.

Yup....it's gonna cost some money to learn.
Yup....it's gonna be worth it when you do.
★ Helpful

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

It's only $$$$ right. I'll dig into my stash of precious greens.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Todays roast with some air adjustments to find the best for max convection. I only adjusted gas during roasts. Thoughts please. thx

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Mike, if you want to find max convection you need to leave the gas on the same setting from start until FC and only change the air setting from roast to roast.

So gas is at say 2kPa for all three roasts through FC. Air if you had a dial was 30,40, or 50. Which of the three roasts got you to FC first. Hard to tell what convection is doing when the gas profiles in your roasts are different.

Do you know why you get over 50 ROR at the start in your machine?

I like roast 25 myself but these three will you give you great feedback when comparing them by taste.

Michael
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I did quite a few roasts with gas the same and just made air adjustments to find which got top 1c first. The roasts posted
are one where I left the air the same and made adjustments with gas only. Haven't got a clue why ROR goes off the chart at the start. Mabey I should soak longer. AT stays above BT a while longer though. Creeping up on it I hope.