Fridays Roasting - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by mkane (original poster) »

A roast for my wife.

false1001

#52: Post by false1001 »

mkane wrote:My wife snuck out with the girls so what the heck, I'll roast a batch or three. I've had my sampling interval on 1s and changed it to 3s. It made a world of difference IMO.
Just FYI that's not making your readouts more accurate, it's just smoothing your curve to hide temperature fluctuations. For a properly calibrated and grounded thermocouple you should have the sampling interval at 1s or lower with as little smoothing as you can get away with.

edit: if you're running artisan on a laptop make sure it's unplugged as well... if it's a desktop make sure you have a quality power supply or are running off a UPS

Advertisement
mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I've tried 2s @ 1s. Didn't like either one. go back to the start of this thread and you will see there's not much difference. Those first graphs were 1s & 2s. When I used 1s & 2s I had a tendency to constantly twist gas knob & damper. 3s keep me off the knob.

EddyQ

#54: Post by EddyQ »

mkane wrote:You have no idea how many pounds of beans I've gone thru to get here. Probably 200+
I have been following this thread and thinking you must be filling your home with coffee by now. How are you getting rid of this coffee that quickly?
LMWDP #671

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Wife takes some to work, one of my sons gets it in the mail and I randomly distribute it around town. Later today I'm going to revisit sampling intervals, again.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Smoothing @ 2

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by mkane (original poster) »

This is the best tasting coffee I've roasted since my Whirley Pop days and it's 2 hours old. Great nose, perfumey in a way. It's got some sort of floral taste as the cup cools. I'm excited.

I made a change to the roaster today and I think it had an effect on my ET temperature. I use these fancy Omran 1/16" probes that are 4' long. I had them inserted all the way into the roaster. In my search for better, I read the vanes in the drum forces the beans towards the front. That being true my probe probably isn't in the bean mass using 225g. So I pulled the probe back 2 inches and bam. ET now reads higher than BT at idle. Am I off base in this thinking?

Advertisement
mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#58: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Todays attempt at controlling ROR

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by mkane (original poster) »

nowhere near 45/35/20. :roll:

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#60: Post by mkane (original poster) »