Fridays Roasting - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
edpiep

#41: Post by edpiep »

That's good haha, it should taste even better in 1-2 days :wink:

hankua
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by hankua »

That was an outstanding set of roasts going from light to darker! And you may be seeing that sometimes "less is more" when it comes to making adjustments with a gas roaster. I think we're all guilty of overadjusting/overreacting at times :roll:

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Micromanaging not always a good idea and I wore the knobs out on my roaster. Michael has helped me out a lot. he's been very persistent. At times it may have seemed I wasn't listening but there were days where I burned lot's of propane and didn't post results. He drilled me with finding the perfect convection points. I'm somewhat of a gearhead and a certain person named Susan said to find the dwell point. That clicked. So did 'stop messing with gas settings' until 1C. After I hit the gas button @TP I walked away, knowing I had a few minutes to do something as meaningless as feeding the birds. Just come back in time to hit the 1stC button and then, watch the magic happen. Let the roaster do the work. I have 60lbs. of practice greens headed my way. I type with 2 fingers and this is a long reply. Thx.

Yes, it's still fun and I'll try and stop tasting coffee that's on a graph. I'll learn to cup.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by mkane (original poster) »

My wife snuck out with the girls so what the heck, I'll roast a batch or three. I've had my sampling interval on 1s and changed it to 3s. It made a world of difference IMO.

edpiep

#45: Post by edpiep »

So if I'm seeing things correctly, you didn't introduce air until post DE?

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Sorry, damper started out @ 3. Forgot to hit that button. how does it look, on paper? It felt good while it roasted.

edpiep

#47: Post by edpiep »

This is 300g correct? It looks really nice to me, not a lot of "noise", nice RoR (in terms of constant decline with minimal "bumps and dips") and good times in each phase. Since I do not know what the end goal of the roast was though I can't say more. I also have limited experience and therefore limited insight so it would be great to hear what the more seasoned roasters observe.

One question, is that TP actual or did you let it soak for 45s or so? I always am curious about the cupping experience lol, but first things first lol.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I let it soak until tipping point, then hit the gas. 325grams. My goal is to not bake the coffee. Down the road, I'll learn how to strategize. You have no idea how many pounds of beans I've gone thru to get here. Probably 200+

wrz0170

#49: Post by wrz0170 »

mkane wrote:Micromanaging not always a good idea and I wore the knobs out on my roaster. Michael has helped me out a lot. he's been very persistent. At times it may have seemed I wasn't listening but there were days where I burned lot's of propane and didn't post results. He drilled me with finding the perfect convection points. I'm somewhat of a gearhead and a certain person named Susan said to find the dwell point. That clicked. So did 'stop messing with gas settings' until 1C. After I hit the gas button @TP I walked away, knowing I had a few minutes to do something as meaningless as feeding the birds. Just come back in time to hit the 1stC button and then, watch the magic happen. Let the roaster do the work. I have 60lbs. of practice greens headed my way. I type with 2 fingers and this is a long reply. Thx.

Yes, it's still fun and I'll try and stop tasting coffee that's on a graph. I'll learn to cup.
Mike,

I have the same roaster, BC-1 and will be going through the same exercises in the next week or so. It would be interesting to see how my results compare/contrast to yours.

William

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Looking forward to your findings William.