Fridays Roasting - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

Postby SJM » Jan 28, 2019, 8:38 pm

Mike, there is a learning exercise that some of us picked up from Chang, and which some of us found very helpful.

See if you can get your roaster to dwell with your BT, ET and MET all running horizontally across your Artisan screen. If you don't have an MET probe, just get BT and ET to be cruising at exactly the same differential.

Once you have your heat and fan settings so that the temperature is stable....not rising or falling....for a few minutes, then make subtle adjustments to one thing at a time and observe what happens to your graph. Heat up. Heat down. Fan up. Fan down. Only change one thing at a time.

And if this sounds like preaching or teaching when none was requested, I apologize.
★ Helpful

mkane

Postby mkane » Jan 28, 2019, 9:23 pm

All feedback is appreciated, Susan. Could be the tip of the year!

mkane

Postby mkane » Jan 29, 2019, 11:40 am

EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote:Mike,

Do you know why you get over 50 ROR at the start in your machine?

Michael

thinking out loud, I'm using BT probe reading as a gauge when to drop. Should I be using AT instead?

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Jan 29, 2019, 11:42 am

No,

where are your beans stored prior to usage?

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » Jan 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Oh my gawd! Why are you using Panemanian and Yemen beans to learn on? What are you smoking and can I have some?

Mill City has scrap beans you can use to learn your roaster or season your roaster with. At like $2~ a pound...holy canopy

86 pt coffee can taste more than delicious. That should be a goal.

mkane

Postby mkane » Jan 29, 2019, 12:04 pm

I had 120lbs of practice beans. Now down to 30 or so. Beans are stored in my wifes pantry.

wayneg1

Postby wayneg1 » Jan 29, 2019, 2:11 pm

mkane wrote:Haven't got a clue why ROR goes off the chart at the start. Mabey I should soak longer. AT stays above BT a while longer though. Creeping up on it I hope.

Not sure I'm reading your profile correctly but if you're coming in at 2.0 kPa that is way too much energy at the start. My machine is very similar to yours and I am typically at .25 or .50 at the start and I have RoR controlled at around 32-36.

mkane

Postby mkane » Jan 29, 2019, 6:50 pm

Todays last roast. Thanks for looking.

mkane

Postby mkane » Jan 30, 2019, 4:57 pm

It's not Friday . Here's a couple more somewhat repeatable. Comments appreciate.thx

edpiep

Postby edpiep » Jan 31, 2019, 3:22 pm

Curious to know what the difference was in the cup between your posts with higher charge temps and these last ones with lower charge temps.