FreshRoast 700 & air temperature

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pGolay

#1: Post by pGolay »

Hi All - I'm about to give a FreshRoast 700 a spin and I am curious about the effect of the current air temperature on the various profiles one can use, either with the FR software, or OpenRoast, or what have you --- is the control from the profiles for the temperature or just on the gas-pedal, as it were, of the heat and fan, irrespective of the actual temperature? In other words, would using a given profile and roasting out on the back deck give consistent results regardless of the outdoor temperature, or does one need to work out winter and summer profiles? (trying to spare my family from the pong of roasting indoors, as much as possible)

thanks,
-PG

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The Fresh Roasts allow you to control the heating air temperature. In colder weather, the heat loss from the glass will be higher, and the same heating air temperature will result in a slower roast. Insulating the bottom of the glass column (so you can still see the beans on top) will minimize this difference. Pipe insulation works real well.
Jim Schulman

pGolay (original poster)

#3: Post by pGolay (original poster) »

Hi Jim - good, thanks I'll try that- not that it gets very cold here but I found that with a popper, there was a huge difference in time to finish a roast depending on the ambient temp outside. I'd like to have at least a bit more control.
-PG