FreshRoast 500

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RioCruz

#1: Post by RioCruz » May 25, 2017, 9:31 pm

For the past 15 years or so I've been using an original FreshRoast+8 roaster with great results. Well...that machine finally gave up the ghost and I recently purchased a new FreshRoast 500 roaster. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the same great results with it that I got with my former roaster. I tried all the tips Sweet Maria's recommends, all the instructions FreshRoast supplies, and have experimented with different heat levels and fan speeds. But all I get is a roast that seems really quite harsh compared with the roasts I got before...even using exactly the same beans. I don't know how better to describe it, but all the coffees have a rather harsh taste instead of the mellow, sweet roasts of before.

Any suggestions from those of you who have and use the FreshRoast 500?

Thanks!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster » May 25, 2017, 11:07 pm

I remembered a conversation with Alan Adler a few years ago about home roasting where he mentioned roasting on a FR 500 with a mod. I found the relevant details here: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/hom ... 010#594010. Hope it helps.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

RioCruz

#3: Post by RioCruz » May 26, 2017, 12:03 pm

Thanks Chris! That's a really good thread on ol' Coffee Geek. I'll give Alan's process a shot and report back.

RioCruz

#4: Post by RioCruz » May 28, 2017, 11:35 am

Well now, the verdict is in and roasting faster and hotter is the key to yummy, mellow coffee on this machine. It seems so counterintuitive, but there ya have it.

I read thru the posts on CG that Chris recommended and then overfilled the roasting chamber with the 5 scoops recommended by the thread. I used my stash of Dry Process Fazenda do Sertão from Brazil...a coffee that has earned my coveted red-star rating :) I turned up the heat and the fan speed to high...then kept reducing the fan speed as the coffee dried out and became lighter in order to keep the heat going. The result was perfection...which I proved yesterday morning in the cup.
The problemo with all this is I end up with much more coffee than I can ever use before it goes stale in about a week. Soooo....I decided the solution would be to reduce the chamber size (the chamber size on the SR500 is quite a bit larger than the FreshRoast plus 8). For this, I took a round jar of Mezzetta peppers, used a ceramic grinding wheel on my table saw and cut it to length,
then inserted it into the original chamber. This reduces the chamber by about 1/4" all around and allows me to achieve the tasty results using only 3 scoops of beans instead of 5... Just right for my needs.

Sooo...thanks Chris for that timely tip and for helping to make my morning cup a delight once again!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster » May 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Great news, glad it helped and that chamber mod is cool.

I like how our in person and online conversations overlap in this coffee community, how I can go back through the forums and bring something I heard or read back, if I remember it. Also how a lot of the older threads still prove useful.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary » May 29, 2017, 2:15 am

Hey Rio,

If you roast too much, freeze it airtight at peak.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Ghild

#7: Post by Ghild » Jun 13, 2017, 5:57 am

RioCruz wrote: then inserted it into the original chamber. This reduces the chamber by about 1/4" all around and allows me to achieve the tasty results using only 3 scoops of beans instead of 5... Just right for my needs.
Hello Rio, could you tell me please the dimension of origin Glass Chamber (diameter and height)

Thank you very much

RioCruz

#8: Post by RioCruz » Jul 08, 2017, 2:30 pm

Hi Ghild-- Sorry it took me so long to get to your post!

The diameter of the original glass chamber is 3" and the height is 4".

Hopes this helps.

bradenl123

#9: Post by bradenl123 » Jul 09, 2017, 1:06 pm

I've been using the FreshRoast 500 for several years now and although I would not consider myself knowledgeable on roasting I think through experience I have learned what works for me. I usually do a medium heat with 100 grams of coffee and the fan on high and I typically roast by sight and sound since the SR500 allows for such. I find it hard to roast a City to City+ level but medium roasting is quite easy. I have roasted some super tasty coffees with this and I only get my beans from sweet marias. Granted, I am new to espresso and everything I taste, tastes really great since espresso is so unfamiliar to me. For a super knowledgeable roaster and espresso connoisseur this little tidbit of information might be useless. Depending on certain coffees I might have to put the heat on high mid roast because its not doing what I like.

Maybe this will help,

Braden

bradenl123

#10: Post by bradenl123 » Jul 09, 2017, 1:29 pm

By the way where can you purchase that teflon funnel that Alan has on coffee geek?