Fresh Roast SR 500 roasting tips for a newbie

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

My kids gave me a Fresh Roast SR500 for the holidays and I just recently found a place to use it without driving my hubby crazy with the smell - my garage. lol . I am super new to roasting and would love all the help and advice you guys can offer. I try to roast to medium roast and have experimented with 1/3 cup (as per Sweet Maria's recommendations) and up to 1/4 cup at a time (as per FreshRoast recommendations). My hubby complains that he can smell and taste the roast, or rather the grassy smell/taste of roasting even 3 days post roast and he hates that smell/taste. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but probably everything. ;)

Please help a newbie out!!!

Thanks,
Julia

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to baristainzmking » Mar 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

I don't have one of those but I used a popper for a year.

If he tastes GRASS plus ROASTINESS my suggestion is to break a bean in half and see if it is a uniform colour across the cross section.

If not, you might be going too hot, over roasting the outside, underroasting the inside, dropping too soon.

Also, to remove "noise" from your data, be sure to remove all deformed beans, beans with holes, etc. That might disrupt the flavour.
LMWDP #603

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 20, 2019, 1:40 pm

happycat wrote:I don't have one of those but I used a popper for a year.

If he tastes GRASS plus ROASTINESS my suggestion is to break a bean in half and see if it is a uniform colour across the cross section.

If not, you might be going too hot, over roasting the outside, underroasting the inside, dropping too soon.

Also, to remove "noise" from your data, be sure to remove all deformed beans, beans with holes, etc. That might disrupt the flavour.

How did you know???? The taste is exactly as you described it. The beans are not all uniform color. Some are darker (but not shiny) some lighter. I wonder if starting out on low the first couple of minutes will do the trick... I followed the directions from Seeet Maria's (high heat, high fan) and the beans really looks like I mixed different roasts. Will try using low settings in the beginning. And maybe use high setting and high fan after the initial 2 min.
Julia

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to baristainzmking » Mar 20, 2019, 1:51 pm

Couple things in addition to taking the heat down...

I suggest weighing your doses... (I have been going by volume in the last year but that's because I am between two homes). With a small roaster, grams make a difference to how much the beans can circulate

Maybe think about working back from a target. When I used a popper, my roasts were super fast. So I modified them so I could stretch roasting times out to 9 or 12 mins without going too dark

Use your nose... beans go through stages. Ideally you would have temp sensors, but you can also smell the stages. Hay. Tomato soup. Etc.

I have found myself despairing about judging by appearances lately... the outside brown colour is just data about the outside :D

Break open your beans and inspect the cross section.
LMWDP #603

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 20, 2019, 11:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will weigh my doses, that's easy enough. Temperature sensor would be great, just not sure how I would add it. When I break open the bean to inspect the cross-section, what am I looking for?
Julia

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to baristainzmking » Mar 21, 2019, 9:47 am

The weighing is to be consistent and help you discover what dose size produces the results you like.

For the bean, check if the colour consistent across the cross section or is it dark on the outside and light inside.

The main difference when I went from popper to drum roaster was slower, more even roasting through the cross section of the bean.

Otherwise you will either underroast (outside looks dgood, inside is too light) or overroast (outside is charred, inside is good) and your flavours will be confusing (kind of like a steak raw inside and charred outside)

It's possibke to add a thermocouple to any roaster if you are handy with a drill. There are probably posts about it on HB. The nice thing about a thermocouple is you can graph the temps on a computer and watch your roast unfold.

You can also roast longer and slower and sample out beans at diff time points then chew on them to see how they taste. Be sure to spit out all the bits and rinse.
LMWDP #603

mckolit

Postby mckolit » Mar 21, 2019, 10:14 am

Are you ending your roasts based on time or were you waiting for first crack to end? The tip sheet from Sweet Maria's just talks about ending their roast after a few minutes but didn't mention first crack.
To get to know your roaster better, you might want to just try a batch and go through second crack just to get a feel for what's going to happen. Hear and smell the stages.
What kind of beans are you roasting?

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 22, 2019, 1:58 am

happycat wrote:The weighing is to be consistent and help you discover what dose size produces the results you like.

For the bean, check if the colour consistent across the cross section or is it dark on the outside and light inside.

The main difference when I went from popper to drum roaster was slower, more even roasting through the cross section of the bean.

Otherwise you will either underroast (outside looks dgood, inside is too light) or overroast (outside is charred, inside is good) and your flavours will be confusing (kind of like a steak raw inside and charred outside)

It's possibke to add a thermocouple to any roaster if you are handy with a drill. There are probably posts about it on HB. The nice thing about a thermocouple is you can graph the temps on a computer and watch your roast unfold.

You can also roast longer and slower and sample out beans at diff time points then chew on them to see how they taste. Be sure to spit out all the bits and rinse.

The beans look consistent throughout, so I guess it's a good thing. I will definitely try lower temperature and longer time and see how that effects the beans.

I will skip the thermocoupler for now, as I am not handy with a drill (never used one!)
Julia

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Mar 22, 2019, 2:08 am

mckolit wrote:Are you ending your roasts based on time or were you waiting for first crack to end? The tip sheet from Sweet Maria's just talks about ending their roast after a few minutes but didn't mention first crack.
To get to know your roaster better, you might want to just try a batch and go through second crack just to get a feel for what's going to happen. Hear and smell the stages.
What kind of beans are you roasting?

I am ending my roast after the first crack, but before the second crack. I should have a pound of green Sumatra beans that I can roast and they might be good to take to second crack and beyond....
Julia