Freezing Seriously Affects Profile! [Mystery Solved!]

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
coffee.me

#1: Post by coffee.me »

This simply sucks:

My perfect* profile for a (never frozen) bean gives me $hitty** results when applied to the same bean after it had been frozen (for 3 weeks) then thawed. What the @%#$!!!???

Any help, ideas or even sympathetic thoughts?

For extra points: point to how the original profile needs to be changed!
The defects are: 1. no, and I mean NO, dry aroma 2. Sour espresso even when brewed at 206F!

PS: Can't think of anything wrong:
- I've always frozen greens successfully, it's a profile thing, I know it.
- Greens vacuum bagged (in FoodSaver thick bags).
- Beans thawed normally: one-two days pre-roast I get the pre-portioned bag out of the freezer and put it in a dark cool place.

* it's so perfect, done so many batches with it, really amazing results.
** now for 3 batches, they remind me of my 1st week roasting coffee!
"Beans before machines" --coffee.me ;-)

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Sorry to hear it; hope it never happens to me.

My first thought is that the beans somehow dried out, maybe from a pin prick leak in the packaging. In that case you'll need to roast faster and with less heat, i.e smaller lots. But this has never happened to me; so it would just be a shot in the dark.
Jim Schulman

coffee.me (original poster)

#3: Post by coffee.me (original poster) »

Jim, while your thought makes sense, to my buds, the roast tastes kinda underdeveloped -- if I knew what I'm talking about. As I said above: no aroma + sour. I thought a +1 minute to BT 300F would be in order. Whatcha think?

another_jim wrote:Sorry to hear it; hope it never happens to me.
... but if when it does... :twisted:

JackH

#4: Post by JackH »

Just a thought. Could it be that the beans were still a bit cold inside? Maybe try longer thawing.

#5: Post by coffee.me (original poster) »

Welcome to H-B, Jack. You mean longer than 2 days @ 75F room temp? Hmmm, maybe I'll stick a TC wire inside a thawing bag.

tekomino

#6: Post by tekomino »

It's not unusual at all to have those freezer vacuum pack bags pierce. Happened to couple of times so I stopped using them.

Sorry no recommendations on profile.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I don't have any solutions, but I do have sympathy for your situation.

I am wondering if you noticed any drastic changes during the roast such as time to first, amount of activity at first, etc. that could point to a possible solution, or at least point to the cause. Since you stated that this has been a problem over three batches, I assume that it doesn't get any better with rest.

Out of curiosity, what is the origin and processing of the coffee your having problems with?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JackH

#8: Post by JackH »

coffee.me wrote:Welcome to H-B, Jack. You mean longer than 2 days @ 75F room temp? Hmmm, maybe I'll stick a TC wire inside a thawing bag.
Thanks for the welcome. I see that you have success with freezing other beans. Maybe that package did dry out as Jim said. I am also curious to know the bean source.

#9: Post by coffee.me (original poster) »

tekomino wrote:It's not unusual at all to have those freezer vacuum pack bags pierce
Now I remember they never did, all three held vacuum.
yakster wrote:I am wondering if you noticed any drastic changes during the roast such as time to first, amount of activity at first, etc. that could point to a possible solution, or at least point to the cause.
Great question! Yeah, 1st was very muted compared to never-frozen batches! Extra rest doesn't do a thing to those bad roasts except make the bad worse.
yakster wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the origin and processing of the coffee your having problems with?
It was an explosive, but really tiny, PB Yemen (DP, for sure). I got so much of it and froze most to enjoy it for as long as possible...it was that good.

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

coffee.me wrote:Jim, while your thought makes sense, to my buds, the roast tastes kinda underdeveloped -- if I knew what I'm talking about.
If the vacuum held and the roast was undeveloped, the frozen beans may be a red herring. Check the roaster: sensors, airflow, and heat. Sounds like you may not actually be using your "perfect profile (tm)."
Jim Schulman