Focus on the Roast 2016, Lot 3 Colombia Huila Palestina

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RobertL

#1: Post by RobertL »

I grabbed 5lbs of this coffee from Mill City along with 5lbs of the El Sal Peaberry. Dave's notes say chocolate and nut bomb. I noticed a lot of guesses from the contest for this lot were Kenya. Don't think anyone described it as a chocolate nutty coffee. Anyone care to share their profile and notes? I'm hoping to bring out the notes that Dave found in his roast. Been buying coffee from Dave since back in the GCBC days and trust his palette. I haven't roasted a batch yet but I'm think of taking this one to a good city+ on the verge of full city. In a couple of days I'll update this thread with my profile and notes.

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

Thanks for posting. I will see if I can repeat a Kenya-esque profile. Or with the blinders lifted, see what two more roasts can offer.

Immediately in the cooling tray the smell made me think that this fast start and faster finish than I had intended left some of the vinegary smells I note in the tryer prior to end of 1C, however, after weighing the aroma is quite sweeter but still with the tang that got me to thinking of Kenya from my similarly fast sample roast during FOTR phase 1. I'll let it rest into the weekend to start tasting.

I held high heat longer to shorten my drying phase to 4 min, but the ramp got away from me.

This will be a good roast to compare to the higher development described in the post below. First cupping does reveal issues of underdevelopment. There is caramelly sweetness, no clear chocolate, more grain-grassy than vegetable with some astringency in the aftertaste. Also no roasty bitterness. For this coffee, I need to decide whether to change profile with same drop temp or follow advice below of going to more of a City + profile.

3rd and final roast: I opted to extend phases but not move drop temp very much. 18 hours post-roast I shared a french press for after lunch coffee. A smooth cup but not much pop.

LMWDP #198

Unrooted

#3: Post by Unrooted »

I also ordered this because I wanted a chocolate tasting coffee to offset all of the fruity-bright stuff I have.
Let me know what your roasts are like!

I think Dave is planning to post roast profiles soon.

BlackSun

#4: Post by BlackSun »

Hi, my first post, just wanted to share my experience with Colombia from Huila, 1 bag 70kg. roasted so far : )
I got the best results with slower start, 5:30 to 6:00 dry, 3 to 4min. ramp, and finish around 2:15 up to 2:30 after 1st, and DR around 23-24%. Like this I was getting good chocolate and some almond notes.
In the experiments to roast it faster and lighter it always gave me a lot of grassy and vegetal notes.
Hope this helps to somebody. Happy roasting!

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

BlackSun wrote:Hi, my first post, just wanted to share my experince with Columbia from Huila, 1 bag 70kg. roasted so far : )
I got the best results with slower start, 5:30 to 6:00 dry, 3 to 4min. ramp, and finish around 2:15 up to 2:30 after 1st, and DR around 23-24%. Like this I was geting good chocholate and some almond notes.
In the experiments to roast it faster and lighter it always gave me a lot of grassy and vegetabale notes.
+1. Great first post!
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

BlackSun wrote:Hi, my first post, just wanted to share my experince with Columbia from Huila, 1 bag 70kg. roasted so far : )
I got the best results with slower start, 5:30 to 6:00 dry, 3 to 4min. ramp, and finish around 2:15 up to 2:30 after 1st, and DR around 23-24%. Like this I was geting good chocholate and some almond notes.
In the experiments to roast it faster and lighter it always gave me a lot of grassy and vegetabale notes.
I am working with another coffee from Huila region Colombia as well that works well (IMHO) with the fast light profile like this. I will keep my profiles and comments on my roasts (one remaining) of this coffee in the original post. And I will roast my last batch today, so I can compare them.

I post here with the question for anyone else roasting and tasting this coffee: Is it worth tweaking my profile and keeping the similar drop temperature but trying to extend the ramp and development a bit? Or should I move more to the City + profile described by BlackSun?
LMWDP #198

Unrooted

#7: Post by Unrooted »

Just received 5# in the mail! I'll roast a batch sometime this weekend. I now have 6 types of green coffees in my cupboard! Now I just need to figure out how to roast?!?

Unrooted

#8: Post by Unrooted »

I roasted a batch Sunday, but my thermocouple started glitching out, so I don't have a profile to share. I hit FC around 8:00, and I stopped the roast about 10 seconds after I heard what I thought was the end of first crack, probably around 10:00 total roast.

I am not getting any of Mill City's tasting notes, more of a sweet, cola taste. My first sip reminded me of coffee flavored candy.

I will try another roast and I will try to go a little farther past the end of first crack to see if the flavors get more chocolatey.

For some reason I can never get any of mill city's tasting notes to show in the coffees I have purchased from them. Does mill city tend to roast darker than sweet Maria's?

millcityroasters

#9: Post by millcityroasters »

Unrooted wrote:...

For some reason I can never get any of mill city's tasting notes to show in the coffees I have purchased from them. Does mill city tend to roast darker than sweet Maria's?
We take most WP 2:15-2:30 for the first time I roast it and adjust accordingly. With naturals, we drop at 1:50-2:00, depending on what the roast presents.

Unrooted

#10: Post by Unrooted »

That must be development time you're quoting?