First Time Roaster - Got a Behmor Plus

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
gzim

Postby gzim » Dec 05, 2018, 11:55 pm

My wife just bought me a Behmor Plus and I am excited to try my first batches. Where do I start?

I have been into espresso for sometime now (4 years), and have been interested in trying my hand at Home Roasting.
We have tried so many coffee's and our Go To, most often purchased is LaColombe's Nizza, which is a blend of beans from Columbia,Brazil, Nicaragua, and Congo. The Coffee is a Medium Roast, with Sweet Notes of Carmel, Nuts and a little Chocolate. No citrus, super smooth.

In poking around Sweet Maria's, there as too many options to understand where to begin, and I have a few questions. When trying to create a blend, do you roast them together or do each bean get roasted separately and then blended? The few times I have tried to mix to different coffee's, they never grind right together, and I get a bad extraction...

I am looking for any suggestions on how to start, and if there are any recommended Articles and Video's for my first roasts. I will start my first roasts with one type of bean, and am looking for suggestions on some Medium Roasts (or is that just how much one Roasts it, and not the bean type)?
I am sorry if some of my questions are laughable,,, like I said, I am a newbie - getting psyched to try my first Roast.

I have a good espresso setup at home with a Kafatek Flat Grinder, so at least I will be able to get the most out of it....

Best,

Gary

mkane

Postby mkane » Dec 06, 2018, 12:13 am

Sweet Marias sells blended greens if I'm not mistaken. Get a small selection and Follow Behmor guidelines to get a grasp on how the roaster works before trying to fool the machine.

btreichel

Postby btreichel » Dec 06, 2018, 12:17 am

Sweet Maria has two espresso blends. When is liquid Amber I believe in the other is something monkey. Start there and see what you think

wayneg1

Postby wayneg1 » Dec 06, 2018, 12:59 am

Sweet Maria's has quite a few single origin coffees that are recommended for espresso. That might be a good place to start just to get your feet wet before venturing into blending. Enjoy your new machine. :)

yakster

Postby yakster » Dec 06, 2018, 10:24 am

I'd recommend batch sizes around 300 - 350 grams.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

gzim

Postby gzim » replying to yakster » Dec 06, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks for the advise. I was planning on starting with 1/2 lb batches as it seems there is a button for this.

I ordered the Espresso Green Bean samples from Sweet Maria's to start... has some blends and SO's. Great advise on a place to start. Any other tips on using this machine or a Video which really helped you?

Thx

Micahdesign

Postby Micahdesign » Dec 06, 2018, 11:52 am

I've been roasting over 2 years on the Behmor and love the Sweet Maria's blends, for espresso and drip.

S.M. Monkey Blend is great I'd recommend that first. New Classic is good. The Liquid Amber blend is definitely different but I love the funky flavor. The Altiplano blend has a lot of central Americas and might actually be close to what you already tried and can also be used for espresso or brew.

I mainly roast 1/2 lb (227 grams) on the 1 pound setting (just to not have to worry about adding time at the end)

I like that S.M. pre-mixed greens were chosen to hit 1st and 2nd crack around the same time so it can be roasted evenly at once with the same profile, instead of roasting different regions separately and blending after.

Just my 2 cents, I'm by no means an expert. Have fun!

yakster

Postby yakster » Dec 06, 2018, 1:24 pm

Pick up five or more pounds of the same coffee and try out different things so that you can dial in your roasting. Varying the coffee at the same time as you perfect your technique can make it hard to tell what effect your changes make.

I use the 1# setting with 300 - 350 grams of coffee, for me it seems to be the best load size for the roaster, but this may vary based on your location and environment, and I also have a very old refurbished Behmor with the original chaff tray so it's hard to say how well my recommendations translate to others. Based on what others have found I'd say that my experience varies from others, but the 300 -350 grams recommendation seems pretty common among roasters.

There's some good older threads on roasting with the Behmor that you could take a look at.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

BarryR

Postby BarryR » Dec 06, 2018, 9:40 pm

I agree that many SM espresso blends are really good.
I also really like roastmasters.com Espresso Firenze Espresso Firenze or Espresso Milano.

PS: Hopefully this is "PC" but coffeegeek.com coffeegeek.com.
has a lot of Behmor roasters. You might want to check that out too if you haven't (though HB has the espresso geeks). Both great sites.

sandollars

Postby sandollars » Dec 07, 2018, 11:39 am

Micahdesign wrote:I've been roasting over 2 years on the Behmor and love the Sweet Maria's blends, for espresso and drip.

S.M. Monkey Blend is great I'd recommend that first. New Classic is good. The Liquid Amber blend is definitely different but I love the funky flavor. The Altiplano blend has a lot of central Americas and might actually be close to what you already tried and can also be used for espresso or brew.

I mainly roast 1/2 lb (227 grams) on the 1 pound setting (just to not have to worry about adding time at the end)

I like that S.M. pre-mixed greens were chosen to hit 1st and 2nd crack around the same time so it can be roasted evenly at once with the same profile, instead of roasting different regions separately and blending after.

Just my 2 cents, I'm by no means an expert. Have fun!

BIG Plus 1 on the New Classic. It's delicious.
In perpetual pursuit of the Celestial Bean.