First Roast of Colombian Decaf

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RAILhead

#1: Post by RAILhead »

Hey all

To begin: my buddy and I recently took delivery of a 1kg MCR a month or so ago, and we've been trying to get a handle on using it. That said, we still have a LOOOOOONG way to go. We're in the process of scheduling training with MCR, but in the meantime, I thought I'd post our roast here and get some thoughts.

I'm focusing on the increase around 6 mins, just after dry end. I begin with low air (45 on our roaster) and increase to medium (50) at dry end. I believe the airflow increase accounts for the temp rise. I don't believe I need more gas to start, but I obviously need to work on smoothing that increase.

Perhaps start with more air? Increase gas at start (I was working toward the 32-35° max ROR MCR suggests within the first two minutes)?

Artisan is set to 3 second sample rate with 4 smoothing.

Would love to hear some feedback as we learn learn learn!

EddyQ

#2: Post by EddyQ »

For starters, I think your BT and ET probes are swapped. The red looks like the BT and blue the ET. And the RoR is your ET rate of rise.

If I look at your red curve (assumed BT), there is a sudden rise is slope around FC. I would suggest lowering heat a bit more before FC. Charge temp and shape going through EOY looks pretty good.
LMWDP #671

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Moxiechef »

Once you swap the ET & BT, also dial back the Delta Axes to about 40. Even though it'll run the delta graph over some of the others, it defitely helps to "zoom in" so you can see better what's going on.

RAILhead (original poster)

#4: Post by RAILhead (original poster) »

OH SSSSSNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

Well, I swapped the probes on the Phidget, and here's the first roast with them setup as they should be. Time to retrain myself hahaha