Finally! North Coffee TJ-067 - Gas Version - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JK

#31: Post by JK »

500G charge at 350F with heat off till turn this came out beautiful

Fan control is nothing like I expected, I was looking at full size profiles and North is not like a 6kg or 12kg machine with 50% after drying phase.. The fan is not shared with cooling bin and here is what I do..

My fan doesn't spin till around 30% I can see some cooling fins at top and can see when its spinning.. At drying and ramp up I start abound 30% and tweek it to 35% or 40% depending on ROR
At 1C I get up around 50% 60% fan and go up or down depending on ROR and I can just dial the ROR where I want it to be.. The ET is cooler than my old Hottop profiles and once I learned I can dial up the ROR even when ET is much lower than the BT it was simple..

I am loving tis machine more each time I use it..
The coffee tastes great and I'm not to sure what the best profile is..
I did read propane is a milder heat as it makes water vapor as it burns and is less harsh than electric... I can say this 100% true.. If I heat the machine with no fan I had a few drops of water drip down the bean dump chute a few times..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

smite (original poster)

#32: Post by smite (original poster) »

Johnny, Good deal on the roasts. Also thanks for the pictures on the additional probe you installed.

So will you end up using the existing thermocouple at all?

JK

#33: Post by JK »

I will when my new PID comes..
All I se is | | ' on the display I can't read a thing...

I'd just like it for another temp. reading..

The BT is pretty much all you really need..

saoye

#34: Post by saoye »

I use the existing thermocouple as a reference for charge temperature. The BT probe I installed at the viewing glass I find is mainly good for Bean mass temperature...so essentially after you've dropped the beans in.

JK

#35: Post by JK »

Steve Green in Va. is putting together a group buy on the TJY- 68 and 67 Gas and Electric models from North.. Total cost delivered around $3,200 Gas and $2,200 for the Electric model

If your interested you can get more info here
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/in ... ic=16743.0

Please let me know if I need to remove this post,
Thank You

slickrock

#36: Post by slickrock »

Seriously? The electrical version is whole 1 grand cheaper shipped? I'm there, despite the implied roast control superiority (and most likely capacity) of the gas-version, if this price is to be believed.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

JK

#37: Post by JK »

Maybe its a type but that's what he posted :)

boar_d_laze

#38: Post by boar_d_laze »

slickrock wrote:Seriously? The electrical version is whole 1 grand cheaper shipped? I'm there, despite the implied roast control superiority (and most likely capacity) of the gas-version, if this price is to be believed.
TJ-068 is not the electrical version of the TJ-067. The TJ-067 is a professional style, 1kg batch roaster, available in gas or electric versions, which weighs 100kg.

The TJ-068 is electric only, with a different layout, does a limited dose range of 350g to 500g, and weighs in at a trim and ready 25kg. I don't know whether or not it does successive batches. Some electric roasters really can't. North introduced the TJ-068 recently, and one of the Tims tried to sell me one -- with a hard-sell cloud of BS -- after I started kvetching about the Amazon on CG.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's TJ-068 page. And -- if all you want to do is take a peek at it, I'll save you the problem of mousing all the way over to China. Here's a pic:

I think there've been sufficient pics of the gas and electric TJ-067s floating around this site that we don't really need another. But I know how lazy we are once the caffeine wears off, so, here's the link for the electric TJ-067; and here's the pic:

jk wrote:I did read propane is a milder heat as it makes water vapor as it burns and is less harsh than electric... I can say this 100% true.. If I heat the machine with no fan I had a few drops of water drip down the bean dump chute a few times..
Ahem...
While there are differences between gas and electric roasting, with the exception of a few particular roasters, their importance is overblown. Not to mention: The whole gas heated air is more gentle than electrically heated air is not so much exaggerated as just nuts; at least if you think it completely through (which most of us don't do very often). Water vapor doesn't stick around long enough to do much in a 200C, 1atm, moving-air, and externally-vented environment -- at least not on this planet.

Bottom line:
As long as you've got the power to put an adequate amount heat in the system to get it to do what you want, heat management -- which is about fan, damping, and otherwise shedding heat -- is far more important than heat source. The great things about gas are that (at some level of scale) it's cheaper, and (under some circumstances) more reliable.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

osanco

#39: Post by osanco »

I was extremely skeptical of the TJ-068 until I saw video.

The machine is listed as having an 800 watt heater -pretty weak right? But preheating to 350F, charging and roasting from there completes at least a nice looking roast in 15:30. About the same as a lot of guys get out of a Diedrich HR-1. They run the fan at full and cool the drum to about 200F, drop the roast and preheat and roast again. So they do seem to be getting something approaching a back to back roast capability. It also appears to be an exceedingly clever design and well built to boot.

I'm ordering one for testing. If the heating is inadequate, I'm going to install an additional 500 watt element and see what happens with 1300 watts of heat.

As my memory may be faulty or my C to F skills may be lacking, I'm posting links to the video. Temps are in Celsius.

500g electric coffee roaster video:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4NTk4Mzg0.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4NjIwODg0.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA2ODAxOTI4.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA2ODA0NDA0.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA2ODA3NzEy.html

boar_d_laze

#40: Post by boar_d_laze »

osanco wrote:The machine is listed as having an 800 watt heater -pretty weak right? But preheating to 350F, charging and roasting from there completes at least a nice looking roast in 15:30. About the same as a lot of guys get out of a Diedrich HR-1.

First:

There's no magic right time for finishing a roast. But a time which is extend by slowing the roast at certain phases -- e.g., drying and the interval following fist crack -- and going quickly through others is very different from running full blast through the entire process to avoid "baking."

That pretty much describes the situation with my Amazon, which can do a reduced dose (600g with some beans, 500g with others, in a nominally 1kg roaster) to a very nice, sweet finish, but can't really do much of anything else. I'm not saying the TJ-068 is underpowered, because I haven't tried it -- but it's certainly a concern.

Second:
The Diedrich HR-1 isn't the dernier cri of electric roasters. If it wasn't fraught with all kinds of issues, including lack of power, Diedrich would still be making it.

Third:
Some of my worries after watching the video are that the roaster doesn't look as if it does much in the way of agitation; and doesn't present any obvious places to mount a BT probe.

And finally, Fourth:
Maybe we should give control of this thread back to the guys who want to talk about the TJ-067 gas.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator