Exhaust BC Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by blondica73 »

Hello forum members. I have question on the type of material that I need to use for exhausting my BC roaster. Would I be able to get away with galvanized or do I need to use stainless steel for the exhaust pipes?

SAS
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by SAS »

I use aluminum dryer vent pipes; sheet metal and flex tubing. No problems and they clean up easily with soap and water.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Sounds great.

jammin

#4: Post by jammin »

Dryer vent is built to handle a flu gases in the range of 200* F or so. Im always surprised how many people use this for an appliance that commonly has exhaust temps in excess of 400*.

I guess if your full run of vent is visible while roasting, you could feel somewhat OK with Type C vent. Anything bigger than a 1kg roaster though and I'd be skeptical. You sure don't want to penetrate any walls with type C.

Although you truthfully should be using Type L, for a smaller roaster I think Type B vent is a good choice. B vent snaps together as well is easy to install. You really have no good excuse to use something that is not safe or rated for the intended application.

Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Some of the aluminum semi rigid flex are rated for 400 degrees, at least that's what the sticker on them says. I talked to a contractor and we are looking at installing stainless steel pipes with a designed thru the wall kit I will purchase from home depot (DuraVent Pellet Stove kit is rated for 570 degrees, or DuraVent Plus which is rated for 1000 degrees). I agree that since I have 2k roaster I cannot use simple aluminum tubing. I would have gone with the Pellet stove kit for side wall venting, however, the largest size is only 4 in and I need a 5 in thru the wall, thus I might choose the DuraVent Plus version. I was a little concerned about galvanized steel (Type B) since it might create unhealthy fumes as 400 degrees air passes thru it.

jammin

#6: Post by jammin »

^the semi rigid venting you are talking about is flexible B vent. Temp wise I suspect it would nearly suitable. The corrugation would make it a nightmare to clean though.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by FotonDrv »

I can put my hands on the flexible venting tubing that came with my 500g roaster. It is 3 inch and is not very hot coming out of the cyclone. Maybe the BC roasters have a higher exhaust temp than the mini500 does so I cannot speak directly to the BC roaster, but just sayin', the pipes on mine are easily touchable.

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Supporter ❤

#8: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:I can put my hands on the flexible venting tubing that came with my 500g roaster. It is 3 inch and is not very hot coming out of the cyclone. Maybe the BC roasters have a higher exhaust temp than the mini500 does so I cannot speak directly to the BC roaster, but just sayin', the pipes on mine are easily touchable.

<image>
What exhaust pipes did you use?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv replying to blondica73 »

The ones that came with the roaster.

They cut easily with shears.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Supporter ❤

#10: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:I can put my hands on the flexible venting tubing that came with my 500g roaster. It is 3 inch and is not very hot coming out of the cyclone. Maybe the BC roasters have a higher exhaust temp than the mini500 does so I cannot speak directly to the BC roaster, but just sayin', the pipes on mine are easily touchable.

<image>
I cannot touch the exhaust pipes towards the end of the roast as they are very hot, granted I run a 2 k roaster (currently I have temp exhaust until the final ones get installed)