Ethiopian Hambela Hassan Natural

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

This one is sure to get a lot of interest and discussion, so instead of having something in the Green Alert thread, we can have it's own. If you missed the announcement, it's HERE and reads rather pretty.

My greens didn't arrive till almost 9PM, so I just got done roasting two test batches. Average moisture content of 7 measurements is 9.7%. They're not the prettiest beans, even for a natural and they seem to have a tiny bit more chalkiness appearance to them, not quite foxy. I was surprised that the green didn't hold a unique fragrance at all, no hints of what lies within. Roasted, they seem to have taken on a more ruby color, akin to many Salvadoran coffees.

My first shot at it was hot and fast. 12.8% weight loss.

My second approach was more gentle, slightly more developed both in post 1C development time and weight loss at 14.0% Nice bean expansion.

The second profile looks wonky, in the fact that I had my ROR completely drop off from reading for over a minute from about the 4 minute mark till after 5. I really only try to focus on my ROR coming into 1C and after, but it's worth mentioning.

I've only sniffed at the first batch, simply because that's the one within reach at the moment. It's been an hour and I'm getting hit with intense pineapple candy way out front and clean berry right behind.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Tonefish

#2: Post by Tonefish »

Thanks for posting this Tom! Looking forward to your cupping results.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Advertisement
johnny4lsu

#3: Post by johnny4lsu »

Mine should arrive sometime end of the week. Will be participating in this thread!

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

I've got a small backlog of greens on hand that I haven't tried roasting, but had to grab 10lbs of this one. Looking forward to it. Still learning, so I'll probably freeze half of it in anticipation of getting better at roasting.

EddyQ

#5: Post by EddyQ »

I've been on the prowl for a good Ethiopian natural for a lot of reasons. When I got the email from Shrub last Friday, I immediately bought 10lbs. SO I am in!
LMWDP #671

badperson

#6: Post by badperson »

they are already sold out, which sucks...oh well.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to badperson »

Wow! Over 13,000 pounds of coffee basically moved over a weekend :o Even Shrub's allotment is sold out.

Advertisement
johnny4lsu

#8: Post by johnny4lsu »

Im-press-ive!!!

jammin

#9: Post by jammin »

We take the "B" word pretty seriously around here

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Usually when I roast a natural processed geisha, I end the roast right as 1C starts going, like 20 seconds in, on average. That might be an approach to consider in this coffee too. I don't have a favorite of either of these two profiles thus far, since they probably haven't even fully developed their true cup potential. But the second, more developed profile I did is more soft and harmonious with more body. But I think the exotic clean fruit notes shift more into milk chocolate notes.

I'll run another batch shortly that has a similar profile (more gentle heat, longer roast) to number 2, but I'll drop it right as 1C gets going.