Ethiopian Hambela Hassan Natural - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#81: Post by Almico »

EddyQ wrote:I roasted two batches this morning. Same size as my first two, but decided to stretch the drying even longer. I kept a steep ramp through malliard and into development with hopes to reduce the vanilla flavors I was getting with the first two roasts.
I dropped the first just at the end of FC and second after more development. The moisture loss was 12 and 14%. They both nailed where I wanted them to be. Fingers crosses . . . Too bad I have to now wait days!
Vait...vhat is diss vait you shpeak of?? Vee dont vait vhere I come from.

I usually roast my DP Hambela to about 2:15, just past 1Ce. I find it adds an almond note and quite a bit of body. It does mute the blueberry a bit, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

I just do not enjoy low body coffee:

I attended a cupping hosted by La Minita yesterday in Brooklyn of most of their Costa Rica microlot offerings. Some very interesting things coming out of the reclaimed farms from the old estate. I wasn't up for the Geishas or honeys, but I found a very nice washed, single variety Caturra from the La Pradera farm located in it's own microclimate on the opposite side of the river. It was roasted to an Agtron 73 and still had goops of body. The dry aroma also knocked me out and I knew it was a coffee I could work with. I bought 5 bags based solely on the body in the cup. (and the price was right)

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#82: Post by TomC (original poster) »

EddyQ wrote: All week I have pulled espressos with the second roast. A day after roasting, it had decent, nice floral/fruity aroma, but was rather astringent with upfront sourness. Part of that was due to low group temps with the pull. But as the week progressed, I pulled some decent shots with decent juiciness than transformed into a vanilla like finish that lasted a long time. The first roast, I pulled a shot yesterday and it was still way too sour for espresso and tasted a tad bit vegetal. But both of these roasts tasted quite nice in an aeropress brews. I'm thinking of roasting two more roasts tomorrow with my Quest and haven't decided what I would change. While the coffee has really nice DP aroma, my roasts tended to be lacking any wow. I feel I need to push more of the acidity into sweetness. Perhaps a tiny bit more development with faster finish would do the trick.
I'll be curious to hear what you find. I'm noticing that vanilla note in the finish in my original roasts. And all of them have a generalized softness to their flavor profiles, nothing sharply pronounced. I just roasted another small batch today.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

EddyQ

#83: Post by EddyQ »

Almico wrote:Vait...vhat is diss vait you shpeak of?? Vee dont vait vhere I come from.
Ha ha ha. :lol: Vee dont vait.
I will be having a shot in the morning of both and report my findings!

I pulled shots and brewed cups with the last batches and they were gone when flavor peaked :shock:
With 150gm batches, that happens. . .
LMWDP #671

EddyQ

#84: Post by EddyQ »

EddyQ wrote:I will be having a shot in the morning of both and report my findings!
I only had time to pull the 14%ml roast. It clearly had more testing needed, but it was really quite good! Unfortunately I am away and won't be able to try either of them til next Sunday. Going to be hard to wait.
LMWDP #671

mojoit

#85: Post by mojoit »

I've cupped, brewed, v60'ed, French pressed, and Aeropressed the two roast curves I shared a couple days back.

Roast 107: Aroma of dark berries when hot, medium-thin body, "tangy" onion 24 hours post roast (now gone on day 5), florals were present 24 hours post roast (now on day 5 they have all but vanished), more 60% chocolate than I expected, the berries are very faint, noticeably clean considering the dry processing, very slightly astringent, slight vanilla on the finish as the cup cools.

Roast 108: Sticky sweet caramelized Vidalia onion (which has faded with each passing day of rest) is almost imperceptible on day 5 and lingers from from to back, florals were much more pronounced 24 hours post roast (still present but gentle on day 5), incredibly sweet, medium body, vanilla on the finish is more pronounced, near zero astringency, more raisin than berry, overripe pineapple is just starting to present on day 5. This roast has balanced and mellowed out quite nicely with 5 days of rest.

Reading the Shrub cupping notes had my mouth watering just imagining some of the pungent fruit bomb DP offerings of years past, but has generally fallen short of my admittedly expectant high hopes. That said, my disappointment has faded along with the sticky sweet onion. This coffee (especially roast 108) seems to benefit greatly from resting.

I will experiment with my profiles to see if I can coax the blueberry and red raspberry from hiding.

EddyQ

#86: Post by EddyQ »

EddyQ wrote:I only had time to pull the 14%ml roast. It clearly had more testing needed, but it was really quite good! Unfortunately I am away and won't be able to try either of them til next Sunday. Going to be hard to wait.
It has been two weeks of rest now and the two roasts (#161 and #162) are almost gone. After such wait, both roasts settled in to become very nice aromatic, flavorable roasts. While away the week after roasting, I made aeropress brews of #161 12%ML roast and it really was like a fruit drink! No roastiness or vanilla finish. This week, well over 1 week rest,I pulled a few espressos the 12% ML roast and it really was nice. Almost too citrus, but had some nice juiciness that made for an overall good shot. Roast #162 with 14%ML just after roast, espresso had a harsh roastiness but was full of more ripe fruit and aroma was very inviting. This roastiness showed up with aeropress brews the week after as well. But now, seems the week or more rest has greatly reduced the roastiness resulting in a wonderful juicy espresso still with the wonderful aroma. Both these roasts could use a bit more body, but overall very nice.

Yesterday, I attempted duplicating roast #161 12%ML Quest roast with a 1.5lb roast with my 1K North. I was off a bit with charge temp resulting in higher initial RoR. Then, my heat was a tad low for the remainder of the roast resulting in lower RoR going into FC. The roast ended up a minute or so longer. The resulting roast ended up being 15%ML when dumped at 409F just at end of FC. Today I pulled and espresso and was rather pleased to not find a lot of roastiness making me think this coffee will be a winner in a week.
LMWDP #671

NoStream

#87: Post by NoStream »

Would anyone like to get rid of some of theirs (ideally 2 lbs or so)? Getting back into roasting and the DP Ethiopia selection on Sweet Maria's is very limited right now.

9Sbeans

#88: Post by 9Sbeans replying to NoStream »

I snagged 20# when it was still available. I culled through the entire bag and there was virtually no defect. 15# of them were immediately vacuum-sealed and stored in the minus-twenty freezer. It was such a clean cup and it's not a typical dry processed Ethiopian, with a taste profile a bit similar to the DP Ethiopia Shakiso Kayon Mountain Farm from SM couple years ago. That say, I don't want to part with them at any price.

There should be many great DP Ethiopian in the market in Aug. to Oct. Be patient.

EddyQ

#89: Post by EddyQ »

Last weekend I roasted some Brasíl beans into 2C. This is the first time in a long time I roasted this dark. But the coffee came out really nice with chocolate, sweet caramel and nice body. For some reason, last Monday I got this idea of blending in some of this light roasted Hambela Ethiopian with a ratio of 40% to 60% Brazil. My God shot threshold increased that day! I think it was the best espresso shot I ever had. Thick, rich sweet chocolate with strawberries throughout. The taste seemed to last all day and I had to have another one when I got home from work.

This reminds me, I need to roast some more of this coffee. I'd like to pull another nice strong aeropress, fruit punch brew with another light roast of it.
LMWDP #671

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#90: Post by TomC (original poster) »

EddyQ wrote:Last weekend I roasted some Brasíl beans into 2C....
Sweet Maria's has what appears to be description wise, a beautiful Brazilian that I roasted last night along with about 14 other coffees. My plan is to use the Brazilian along with either this Hassan Natural or the new Tej from Royal. I didn't take either quite as far, but just FC.

The idea of cocoa notes, banana chips, strawberries and all that nice sounding stuff just from the Brazilian, it might not need much of the Ethiopians, but it'll be fun to play with.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/