Ethiopian Guji Washed Wachu

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
badperson

Postby badperson » Feb 09, 2019, 9:04 am

picked up 10lbs of this from mill city roasters after reading about it in the greens alert thread.

My best batch of the first group (out of 4 batches on my Quest M3) is here:

in my cupping notes I had watermelon and red apple. My big difference with the mill city page was they had a much thicker mouthfeel than I got, so will look forward to experimenting more.

I had a cupple of SO shots that had a really strong cola sweetness, with the red apple mixed in subtly. A really nice bean so far.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Feb 09, 2019, 9:11 am

I've only done two roasts of it (mine was from the Sweet Maria's lot, if that matters) and found that it definitely tasted better with a fast profile in that small sample set. It's incredible stuff.

badperson

Postby badperson » Feb 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

good idea. This batch was the best I did and was among the fastest, will shoot to build off that next time.

Chert

Postby Chert » Mar 09, 2019, 6:24 pm

I'm finding this bean a nicely versatile. Aguirre's 'sweet spot' roast (see that thread if you've not) is what I am shooting for, and enjoying the tropical fruit tastes and acidity of that style. Another roaster here sent me three roasts from his Quest, two around 19% post roast develop, solid city+ roast and one of 24% that hits the stride of full city -. That one I pulled using Pharos and millenium LP 15 grams in the basket and tasted a nicely textured syrupy complex shot with a finish of a coffee roasted nicely to that level.

badperson

Postby badperson » Mar 10, 2019, 7:27 am

This is the best batch I've done so far, the faster profiles really stand out for me, and I think others have echoed that here as well. I may have called 1C too early on this one as you can see from the chart, and the DTR is really high at 36%, but I'm wondering if I called start/end of 1C correctly, so take with a grain of salt.

this one had a really strong molasses and prune flavor with some green apple tartness. I would like to get the drop temp closer to 420F next time and see how that tastes, this was pretty bright, but still really good.

I see from that other thread you are using your technique of killing the heat, and then cranking it later on, around 2-3 mins? When I do that I tend to get a flat section in my delta BT...but I think I will try your version the next time I roast. I see your Delta BT is a large mound...any way to achieve that on a Quest M3?

Chert

Postby Chert » Mar 10, 2019, 7:58 pm

badperson wrote: I see your Delta BT is a large mound...any way to achieve that on a Quest M3?

Have you seen Aguirre's description of the "sauna" method he is using? I want to roast this bean without sauna and try to otherwise emulate my first roast and see what I think.

edschlukebir

Postby edschlukebir » Mar 11, 2019, 4:38 pm

ImageFInally got a batch of this in on Saturday. Tried it today. It's only two days, but its really nice.

Chert

Postby Chert » Mar 21, 2019, 3:05 pm

V60 just now of this one. I'm not sure if I actually like it better pourover or doppio. Maybe pourover just cause more sips of deliciousness. On the Pasquini Livia shots are thin, and bright with sweet raisin smoothness and quite enjoyable, I don't really get that nice citrus. The La Pavoni shots aren't that different But in the pourover more clarity and citrus, tangerine.