Ethiopia dry process recommendations - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Case17 (original poster)

#11: Post by Case17 (original poster) »

treq10 wrote:<image>

Here's my first batch of Sweet Maria's DP Kayon Mountain Taaroo. BT says 218, but it's more like 200. Because the BT probe is closer to the heating element than the ET probe on the Huky, it reads quite a bit hotter even though they should be quite similar. I found that ET is a more stable indicator of temperature than BT on my setup.

Anyhow, after about 18 hours of rest, I brewed the coffee on the V60, and I'm quite pleased! Super clean, fruit forward coffee. Berries (raspberry & blueberry), florals, little bit of dark chocolate, baking spices...No fermentation funk...the fruit notes are lively and buoyant.

There is a bit of a tannic dryness in the finish, and I'm not sure if it's due to 1) coffee being too fresh 2) over-extraction or 3) using too high a heat at the end of roast. Time will tell, but for the most part the coffee is really beautiful and an excellent DP Ethiopian coffee.
Thanks for this.
I did end up ordering 20 lbs of this bean, so once it arrives I will roast and post an update.
Interesting that the thermocouple on is a little high. That must making comparing roasts with non-Huky's a little tricky.

I have a Bullet. The IR sensor presumably makes the BT measurement ultra accurate, though I have never run a control experiment to be sure.

200 C final temp is a very light roast; I guess you were just getting into 1C when you dropped the beans? I have generally found that only rarely are beans any good when roasted that light. Usually they need to be dry fermented like these ones... of course just my subjective opinion and I'm not really an expert.

treq10

#12: Post by treq10 replying to Case17 »

You won't regret it!

I dropped the coffee at 210C. It was slightly too high for my tastes...I would prefer to get to about 208C in the same time (45secs post FC). I am thinking that doing this will allow more vibrance, less chocolate, less dryness in finish. I'd probably go into FC with slightly less heat or lower it more quickly once I hear rolling FC.

txxt

#13: Post by txxt »

Managed to roast two half pound batches of the DP Taaroo. First one I haven't gotten a chance to try yet due to sickness after I brewed, but the second one absolutely wowed me. SM's take on the beans was dead on as it was filled with blueberry and other berry notes (maybe cran or raspberry). A very smooth, clean cup as it was described.

I roasted it on the Gene Cafe for a total of ~10:30, first reaching FC at a steady 478F then dropping to 465F at the sound of FC. I'm super happy I bought a good amount of it since it's my new favorite that I've been able to roast on the Gene so far. Hope the OP likes it! :)