Ethiopia DP Gr. 1 Yirga Cheffe Aricha-Current crop at Sweet Maria's - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC (original poster) »

seacliff dweller wrote: So my question is: what really determines whether a bean is suitable for espresso or not. I am confused.
Ultimately, your palate. Plus what I just wrote in the previous reply. Don't be afraid to let the Konga rest a bit longer before being pulled as espresso. Most DP and nearly all Ethiopians have longer legs, i.e. they'll last longer and develop flavors as they rest, better than other coffees. But again, I reiterate, my primary focus is sweetness. I don't care how amazing a coffee might taste in the cup, if it's sour and lacking sweetness, there's no way I want to prepare a concentrated version of it. That's what so many cafes/roasters fail to ultimately realize. You can't roast to an Agtron number and call yourself an accomplished roaster, regardless of how you extract it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LDT

#12: Post by LDT »

Tom,

I roasted this coffee last night and hit 1C at a much higher temp than your graph shows. I'm at work so I don't have the information handy, but I recall it was closer to 390F. I was using a charge weight of 235 gms. Is your temp of 377.4F at 9:36 correct and could this be associated with your roaster you were using? I also realize different themocouples, etc. could explain some of the difference. Any comments?

seacliff dweller

#13: Post by seacliff dweller »

"But again, I reiterate, my primary focus is sweetness. I don't care how amazing a coffee might taste in the cup, if it's sour and lacking sweetness, there's no way I want to prepare a concentrated version of it."
Sweetness:
Aricha 9.8
Konga 9.0
So in your opinion, Aricha is too sweet?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC (original poster) »

You can never have too sweet.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC (original poster) »

LDT wrote:Tom,

I roasted this coffee last night and hit 1C at a much higher temp than your graph shows. I'm at work so I don't have the information handy, but I recall it was closer to 390F. I was using a charge weight of 235 gms. Is your temp of 377.4F at 9:36 correct and could this be associated with your roaster you were using? I also realize different themocouples, etc. could explain some of the difference. Any comments?
No lateral correlation can be made between the two different roasters, probes etc.

What's more important is information about length of drying phase (very important), and post first crack development times. Aromatics from the tryer can tell you if you've pushed past the brighter, sour acids and developed the roast without over roasting the sugars. My finish is a tad slower so I can carefully monitor the development and assess the sweet aromatics, so I know once I cross that threshold I can immediately end the roast.

seacliff dweller

#16: Post by seacliff dweller »

TomC wrote:You can never have too sweet.
then why Aricha is not a candidate for espresso when it is sweeter than Konga? Just the cupper's palette without reasoning?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC (original poster) »

You'd have to ask them. I never said it wasn't good for espresso. It could be that there's an unbalanced or ferment note when extracted as espresso.

IMAWriter

#18: Post by IMAWriter »

TomC wrote:You can never have too sweet.
+1!
Tom, there are those whom I greatly respect who might disagree, but sweet is SO good. If I can get it as pour-over, especially as it cools to 130f, it stands to reason that it's in my hands to duplicate it as espresso if possible.

IMAWriter

#19: Post by IMAWriter »

Mine was ordered Monday, I believe, so hopefully will have it in my hands early next week. Low the low cost SM's shipping.
I also purchase the Ugandan and one of the Brasils.

Jaxx2112

#20: Post by Jaxx2112 »

Picked up a 5lber and am looking forward to following this journey!