Electric Behmor 1KG roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sweaner

#11: Post by sweaner »

Mbb wrote:The thing that caught my eye
Is all the tiny phillips head screws holding it together
It does not appear robust construction
Really? What should it be held together with?
I saw it in person and it certainly appears very well built.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas »

I initially had the same reaction to the Phillips head screws. But after sober second thought I concluded that it's kind of psychological. For some reason, in my mind, Phillips head screws = cheap, while the same screw size with beefy looking hex heads, like on my Quest = quality. Go figure :D Also, the unit in the photos looks to me like a prototype; I imagine the final unit will be slicker.

Advertisement
Mbb

#13: Post by Mbb »

sweaner wrote:Really? What should it be held together with?
I saw it in person and it certainly appears very well built.
Acorn nuts and more substantial hex cap screws.

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I would certainly consider it too. I have really appreciated Behmor's customer service over the years and being able to replace parts as needed on my Behmor. Last time the circuit board conked out they said it shouldn't have done that so soon after having replaced it before and sent it to me for free. I still have upgraditis though. :roll:

cltlarry

#15: Post by cltlarry »

I contacted Behmor on June 10th to inquire about the 'Jake' and received the following response:

"We will be introducing our large capacity Kilo roaster, Jake, later this year, and details will follow in about 3 months. You should be able to purchase with any of our retailers, suggested retail price $2495. We do not sell directly, but you should be able to reach out to any of our individual retailers to get on a waiting list and get updates as the release date approaches. Our online retailers are listed at the bottom of our Retailers page: https://behmor.com/retailers/
Please visit the following link for details: https://behmor.com/jake-kilo-roaster/
I hope this is helpful".

I have a 1600 plus that I've used on over 300 roast over the last few years and have had a couple of minor issues and plenty of questions. I can honestly say Behmors' customer service has been outstanding addressing these issues and answering all my questions in a timely manner. I was planning to replace my 1600 with the 'Bullet' that would allow me to develop a darker roast profile but when I found out Behmor was coming out with a batch roaster that in theory will compete with the Bullet I decided to wait on the Behmor. And besides, the Jake looks much classier!

Hopefully it'll have the build quality to match the good looks. And I agree - do away with the phillips head screws!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Nunas »

This looks like a very interesting roaster. I've been waiting for something that would be a logical and cost effective upgrade in capacity from my Quest; this could be it.

From the video and Behmor web site, I gather that there is an inbuilt USB interface and BT/ET thermocouples, and I don't see any controls. Does this mean that the heater, fan, and maybe drum speed are software controlled? Also, must one use a computer and user app such as Artisan to run it?

I was never a fan of the 1600, but this might be a game changer.

GC7

#17: Post by GC7 »

This looks really interesting.

I like the smoke suppression as I use my garage and don't want ducts to remove smoke. I would like to know more about the "auto dumping safety features" as this is a total PIA for the HotTop.

I had to choose between a Behmor and HotTop some 10+ years ago and I was very happy to learn to roast on the HotTop. It's still going strong but I will need a new roaster sometime in the not too distant future. This offering looks to be a very credible electric upgrade. I would like to know how it does with 1 pound roasts as 1 kg is more than I would ever want to roast in one batch.

I await new information on this one.

Advertisement
redbone

#18: Post by redbone »

Follow up on the Jake kilo roaster per Behmor reply. "We will be introducing our large capacity Kilo roaster, Jake, later this year, and details will follow in about 3 months. You should be able to purchase with any of our retailers in December, suggested retail price $2495."
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

rgrosz

#19: Post by rgrosz »

GC7 wrote:This looks really interesting.

I like the smoke suppression as I use my garage and don't want ducts to remove smoke. I would like to know more about the "auto dumping safety features" as this is a total PIA for the HotTop.

I had to choose between a Behmor and HotTop some 10+ years ago and I was very happy to learn to roast on the HotTop. It's still going strong but I will need a new roaster sometime in the not too distant future. This offering looks to be a very credible electric upgrade. I would like to know how it does with 1 pound roasts as 1 kg is more than I would ever want to roast in one batch.
I bought my first Hottop in 2012, and it is showing signs of age. I did all of the modding myself (added themocouples and arduino TC4C shield), which may have contributed ...

This year I bought a new Hottop B-2K+ , and it is very nice. When you control it from your computer with artisan, you don't have to worry about the "auto dumping safety features" at all. BUT you still can't roast much more than 1/2 pound in a reasonable time - my largest roast was about 265 grams.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

cltlarry

#20: Post by cltlarry »

redbone wrote:Follow up on the Jake kilo roaster per Behmor reply. "We will be introducing our large capacity Kilo roaster, Jake, later this year, and details will follow in about 3 months. You should be able to purchase with any of our retailers in December, suggested retail price $2495."
I'm patiently waiting!