EBay Burkert Digital Control Valve - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
The French Dude

#61: Post by The French Dude »

The 2.6 High limit control links seems to be broken.

Moreover I have some issues to dissasemble the controler. Once the screw removed the box don't want to separate. Did you had the same?

Edit: Problem solved I was affraid to broke something.

Almico

#62: Post by Almico »

Now that I have my Surface Go Touch screen to run Artisan, it would be cool to have it control the roaster as well.

I purchased one of these Burkert control valves when the price was too good to pass up. I also have a 3-phase motor (& VFD) that I was going to use for the drum RPM, but it might be better suited for the air, since all I have is a damper.

If I could get Artisan to control the gas valve and speed of the air while I'm pushing the buttons on my touch screen...I'd be the coolest coffee roaster on my street.

OldNuc

#63: Post by OldNuc »

The gas is probably controllable by controlling on the pressure downstream of the control valve and the same for air pressure downstream of the control device. These could be either straight pressure or differential pressure from a pitot tube.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#64: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Quick update:
- installation mostly complete.
- in the docs, valve installation is "As required, preferably with actuator in upright position" Read that as, "Install in an upright position."
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

The French Dude

#65: Post by The French Dude »

I guess you control the vavle with the small box on the left.
So what is the pid for?

THX

Team HB

#66: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to The French Dude »

At the moment, I'm using the PID as a simple on-off control, connected to a thermocouple in the chaff collector. If the thermocouple gets too hot, then the PID cuts power to the Burkert, shutting off the gas.

The big red button switch on the side of the box also cuts power to the valve. Not visible is the regular on/off switch for the box, PID, and the valve. The visible toggle switch selects either using the computer or the knob for control.

(There are also a separate electrical/master kill switch and manual gas turn-off located a few feet away from the roaster.)

Chert

#67: Post by Chert replying to baldheadracing »

A I am curious for an update on how you are using the Burkert.
LMWDP #198

Team HB

#68: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Chert wrote:I am curious for an update on how you are using the Burkert.
Not much of an update - I do annual maintenance in February, when it is too cold for me to comfortably roast. However, I ended up having to travel quite a bit so the roaster is still in pieces.

Chert

#69: Post by Chert »

Bump.

Also question: The Burkert valve works as a gas control valve for roasters of 5-7 kg capacity? Or what capacity?

Also @ others who bought the Burkert valve assembly: What did you do with the high quality Swagelok vacuum fittings supplied with the valve? New Swagelok gear has resale value if ebay is an indication.
LMWDP #198

Team HB

#70: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Hi:

Sorry, I have been rarely near the roaster for a while - lots of travel. The roaster had been down as I have been dealing with thermocouples and switching to a 24vdc exhaust fan that Hankua kindly arranged to send to me from Taiwan.

The last thing I did was wire a dual-gang potentiometer so I could track 'manual' gas adjustments in Artisan.

However, I will say that this particular valve is sized way too large for my 1kg. I have one more set of tests to run to see if I can consistently address that limitation.