Easiest way to connect thermocouples to iPad?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Dieter01

#1: Post by Dieter01 » Aug 08, 2019, 6:17 am

I have a Quest M3 with thermocouples. Until now I have hooked this up to a datalogger which in turn is connected to a computer. The datalogger and laptop are pretty much both dead now though and I need a different solution... Would like to attach the thermocouples to some simple device that can transmit the temperatures via bluetooth/WiFi to an iPad.

What device am I looking for?

boiler1

#2: Post by boiler1 » Aug 08, 2019, 9:51 am

I used a Thermoworks BlueThem Duo that I already had for my smoker and the RoastMaster app. It worked fairly well, at least for me. The RoastMaster app does work with other options, so you might look at their website for possible dataloggers. The BlueTherm Duo has been replaced with the ThermaQ I believe. I switched recently to a laptop/phidget/Artisan and I do like that a bit better than the iPad/Roastmaster/Bluetherm option since it allows more than 2 probes. I prefer Artisan's interface, display, and workflow better than RoastMaster. However, one part that was nice about RoastMaster was the green coffee inventory that you could use.

happycat

#3: Post by happycat » Aug 08, 2019, 10:55 am

Dieter01 wrote:I have a Quest M3 with thermocouples. Until now I have hooked this up to a datalogger which in turn is connected to a computer. The datalogger and laptop are pretty much both dead now though and I need a different solution... Would like to attach the thermocouples to some simple device that can transmit the temperatures via bluetooth/WiFi to an iPad.

What device am I looking for?
This is probably too complicated, but here's a data point for you.

For a couple years, I used an Orange Pi zero running armbian. A TC4 on arduino monitored the thermocouples and connected to the pi via USB. The pi ran roastlogger as a Java app. The pi ran a VNC Remote Desktop server over wifi.... so my iPad used VNC viewer to monitor and operate the roastlogger on the pi.

it worked well for me though there was latency in seeing the temperature changes from TC4 to Pi over wifi to iPad. I dropped the little Pi and the wifi seemed to stop working so I went back to a laptop.
LMWDP #603

Rush

#4: Post by Rush » Aug 08, 2019, 11:41 am

Perhaps it worth it to cobble something together for you, but really the new Phidgets HUB with RTD probes via USB are definitely the way to go. Not sure how to cleanly get temperatures on iPad, excepting something like posted just above.

[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by [creative nickname] » Aug 08, 2019, 2:01 pm

I use a ThermaQ, via Bluetooth connection, logging with Roastmaster. It is easy to set up and works very well.
LMWDP #435

happycat

#6: Post by happycat » Aug 08, 2019, 5:21 pm

It's also worth thinking about PID control of your roaster heater.

My solution uses a TC4 to collect temps and control the heater, and the Roastlogger Java app allows you to set PID targets.

I can set a target for 475F for the environmental temp and the TC4 will toggle the heater on and off as necessary to maintain the target. Once the roast gets close to 1C I can adjust the PID setting down.

In the past, I set up whole recipes setting PID targets for ET that changed with major milestones in BT. It was pretty cool because the Orange Pi ran the whole roast and I just monitored on the iPad and intervened if necessary.

Best of luck. Hope you share your solution.
LMWDP #603

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends » Aug 08, 2019, 6:37 pm

[creative nickname] wrote:I use a ThermaQ, via Bluetooth connection, logging with Roastmaster. It is easy to set up and works very well.
Me too. And Mark helped me understand it. I will forever be grateful for that.

Dieter01

#8: Post by Dieter01 » Aug 16, 2019, 6:10 am

Thanks! Bought the ThermaQ WiFi and set it up last night. Looks very good so far. Not tried the Roastmaster app yet, but should get a chance to try this weekend.

I also use thermoco9uples a fair bit when cooking, including measuring temperature in a wood fired oven. Should I use the software that comes with the ThermaQ for logging here (to get graphs and curves), or do you recommend another application for this non-roasting task?

malling

#9: Post by malling » Sep 11, 2019, 5:25 am

I'm on the verge of getting a quest and i'm wondering what thermocouples your using, I can see in the description in Setting Up the ThermaQ that it mentioned that not all thermocouples k type is capable.