Do beans continue to crack long after roasting?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
gtemkin

#1: Post by gtemkin »

Roasted a batch yesterday. Left it overnight on my kitchen counter in a large colander.

Today, my wife and I heard about 4 sharp cracks over the course of several hours, seemingly coming from that colander. Almost like a loud high voltage electrical snap. Our stove is on the other side of the kitchen. It does have high voltage ignitors but they're usually quieter and the sparks repeat until the burner lights.

Near the colander is a KitchenAid mixer, a toaster, my espresso machine and grinder. All are 110V appliances

If it was a 110V short in one of those appliances, I would think I'd smell something (I don't), and I'd expect it would blow a breaker, especially if it was drawing an audible arc.

Could it be some very stressed beans waiting for just the right moment? I'm going to relocate the colander to see if the sound comes back and if it moves. This is all very weird????

Thx G

gtemkin (original poster)

#2: Post by gtemkin (original poster) »

42 minutes after my first post and having moved the colander of coffee to the kitchen table (other side of kitchen from where it was), the colander made a single snap as my wife was sitting next to it. Blimey! The coffee is indeed continuing to crack almost 24 hours after roasting.

Advertisement
Tonefish

#3: Post by Tonefish »

Wow ... never heard of this. It conjures back to those mexican jumping beans they had in the convenience stores when I was a kid. Those and the "seahorses" still have me both puzzled and mildly mystified. What type are the beans and where did you get them? Is this a bean source you use often? Purplexing.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

You made me check. It is not April 1st.
-----
LMWDP #339

gtemkin (original poster)

#5: Post by gtemkin (original poster) »

Just heard another, this time I was in the kitchen, and again, it came from where the beans were moved to.

Beans were from a lot of Costco beans I thought I'd give a try. I've been through 3/4 of the 22.5 pound lot I bought. Been roasting it for 2 or 3 months. This is the first time this has ever happened in the 3 years I've been home roasting. It's sold as organic Honduran from the Capucus region.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

You have a poltergeist. Time to exorcise or sage your kitchen!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

HoldTheOnions

#7: Post by HoldTheOnions »

If stresses were not sufficiently relieved by cooling the beans and additional weakening occurred, e.g. the beans continued to dry and became more brittle, then catastrophic failure of the internal structure (cracking) could occur subsequent to the roast.