Diedrich Ir-7(7lb) rebuild

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
craigcharity

#1: Post by craigcharity »

Hey All

After about 4 months of waiting I finally received my present:)

It got stuck in NY for 2 months cos the forwarding company didn't do the paperwork properly.

It came in a 8 ton truck so It didn't get through my gate.

Here is the 100kg+ copper extractor fan that I got with the roaster coming down the drive way.

Here is the roaster getting taken off the truck,

I'm using my folks garage to rebuild it as mine is currently my study, gonna be moving into a bigger place soon so once I do I will setup a nice roastery:)
My folks place has a bit of a downhill towards the garage so I had visions of the roaster being disassembled for me in the tarmac.

Finally in the garage

4 hours later!!! i had waited long enough so no time was wasted

Ive got a whole bunch of photos of the strip down which I will post soon.

Im going to get the bodywork powder coated black, super excited!!!

Dieter01

#2: Post by Dieter01 »

Wicked! Look forward to following this project :-)

romanleal

#3: Post by romanleal »

Congrats! That's a roaster that will serve you well. Can't wait to see it finished.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Wow! That's one hell of a project. It will look great finished. Do you plan on going thru a few roasts before you powder coat it?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Italyhound »

Lekker!

Looking forward to more of your pics and posts.

craigcharity (original poster)

#6: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

@TomC

I will powder coat before reassemble.
The face plate and the back plate will be sprayed with a high temp black spray paint but the bodywork will be powder coated with a orange peel black.

Here are some pics of the tear down:

A pic of the stuff I had already ordered from Diedrich

IR burner, I have just ordered another ceramic plate as my machine only had one, you can see how black the drum was from the one open flame

A pic of the inside of the drum, any guess to what I can soak it in to clean it?

and one of the motors, not cheap to replace!!!

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

I can share with you a great trick that we've used for years, borrowed from one of my BBQ forums. If you have access to those very large heavy duty Hefty trash bags, you can place it inside, spray the surface down with Easy Off oven cleaner liberally ( taking care to avoid the fumes) then quickly cinching down the opening, so that the cleaner doesn't quickly evaporate. Leave it for a good 40 minutes, open it up and let any fumes excape, then hit it with a garden hose.

That will take off thick hard burned on coffee oil residue. It works like a charm for large smokers ( Weber Smokey Mountain, etc) grills, etc. And it does it in a fraction of the time, with less tedious scrubbing. Just be sure to use thick gloves and do it in a well ventilated place.

I wouldn't do this on a weekly basis, the cleaner is very caustic, but effective. I've used it for years on my All Clad Stainles Steel cookware, albeit it for a less amount of contact time, since it's not so heavily soiled, and it comes out effortlessly sparkling new, with no signs of pitting or any other corrosive damage.

HTH.

#8: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

Thanks Tom, I used the oven cleaner and it worked so well, I used a product there called 'cobra' oven and braai cleaner. It worked so well, before I had to chip the coffee off with a small hammer and screwdriver, but after spraying the whole can of oven cleaner on it and leaving it over night when I got to my workshop the next morning it came off with a garden hose, clean to the metal, freaky stuff:)

So far I have taken all the paint off and resprayed most of the pieces that are not bodywork with a heat resistant black spraypaint. I dropped most of the bodywork( the top pieces- not the one piece bottom bit but all the rest) at the powder Coaters this morning. I am getting the body done in a textured black, which will hide the little dents and all the small things like the bearing casings and gas lever and the parts that hold the exit chute on powder coated with a lightish green.

The motors are becoming a problem, I cannot find 220v motor and gearbox here with the desired rpm(15 after the gears) everything I find the gearbox is too big so it won't fit into the area it needs to be in. I am going to look at putting a electric gate motor in which I have worked out rotates at around 93rpm after the gears and I could use different size sprockets to get the 60 or so rpm that the drum spins at.

I am posting this from my iPad and cannot upload pics of the progress but will as soon as I can.

Chat soon , Craig

#9: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

Right, now for some photos:

Here are the pannels at the powder coaters , all these will be done in a textured black.

Here is a shot of the inside of the back plate, I have left the inside where the beans will touch unpainted for obvious reasons:)

This is the infrared burner after I bead blasted it and sprayed it, I also fitted the LP jets and took out the Natural gas ones, the LP ones had a smaller hole.

This is the exhaust pipe that was black, I might leave it like this to see if it stays like it, It will be easy to remove at a later stage to spray if I have to, I prefer the shiny look.

This is the universal joint that turns the agitator, also bead blasted, I just have to buy a grease gun so I can lube it up.

These are both the burners with the ss piping and brass nuts on,

All the nuts and bolts will be replaced with SS alan head ones

and finally, the face plate with the bean hopper gate on it, It looks like the heat resistant paint will come off fairly easily in some places, but i should be pretty easy to patch up.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Looking great. Yeah, glad it worked out well for you. It's nice when you save your joints and don't have to use a ton of elbow grease. Let the stuff do the work for you. You just have to be careful of the pitting risks.

Keep at it and keep the updates coming!

I hate replying on my iPad, since I often bump that one wrong area that somehow deletes the whole dang thing I've written. Very frustrating. I've been dreaming of a roasting software that is compatible with IOS, so I could link wirelessly to my iPad rather than keeping my laptop in the kitchen for roasts.