Determining the roast degree: Temperature or development time? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
coffee_plXR (original poster)

#11: Post by coffee_plXR (original poster) »

edpiep wrote:Is this coffee you are currently roasting some that you have had for a while or some that you just switched to?" Your description of the coffee as "cedary" and "spicy" are strong indicators of old/stale coffee or coffee that has undergone molecular changes that affected quality (potentially moisture loss). I know you mentioned that all your coffees have the same taste so it could mean that they all are old or have undergone similar changes that affected their freshness...
Colombian supremo is what i've done roasting all the time. Your comment was great help. I inquired my supplier if there's anything wrong with it.

But it will be so ridiculous if every bean is past crop

happycat

#12: Post by happycat »

coffee_plXR wrote:Colombian supremo is what i've done roasting all the time. Your comment was great help. I inquired my supplier if there's anything wrong with it.

But it will be so ridiculous if every bean is past crop
Is it natural process or wet? Natural process can taste "wild". It can require a long drying period, maybe a darker roast too.
LMWDP #603

coffee_plXR (original poster)

#13: Post by coffee_plXR (original poster) »

Ryantheroaster wrote:My qualifications for responding are about null, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

It doesn't seem like bean color is a very good indication for when to drop a roast, as a roast at 6 min and a roast at 16 minutes can look the same.

More importantly, it seems like the development times and phases during the roast play a bigger part.

What does a typical roast look like for you? How long till yellowing/Dry end? How long until FC? What time do you usually drop your batches? What is your charge temp?
Well,
I mormally drop at 8' 00' or 9' 30'
With that said, general duration goes like
3 mins dry / 4 mins ramp /1 min developement

For my washed Colombian beans,
Drop at 1C +6'c usually, charging at 165 et & 180 bt
TP at 140'c in 1' 20'

hankua
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by hankua »

My opinion on the roast degree question is all of the above; Drop temperature, development time, and total roast time.

I got a decent Colombian Excelso in Taichung but it's not something I'd roast super light or light. My time to 150c is around 5 minutes and even 6 is fine for me hitting 1C at the approximate 9 or 10 minute mark. First crack was 200c and dropped at 210c with 2:00 RD time. I'm still getting the stone fruit notes I tasted at the vendors shop, and satisfied with the results as they're an SCAA training facility.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by pcofftenyo »

another_jim wrote: If you don't measure the environmental temperature, your roasts will never be good. Just adjusting the heat while watching the bean temperature is a recipe for endlessly inconsistent roasts. It's like having an oven and operting the heat without knowing the oven temperature
WHAT? (Head on chain necksnap). Never heard that before.

I get pretty good roasts without measuring ET but there is definitely room to improve, particularly at the end where I'm having some crash/flick issues.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by pcofftenyo »

coffee_plXR wrote:Well,
I mormally drop at 8' 00' or 9' 30'
With that said, general duration goes like
3 mins dry / 4 mins ramp /1 min developement

For my washed Colombian beans,
Drop at 1C +6'c usually, charging at 165 et & 180 bt
TP at 140'c in 1' 20'
IMO, your TP is too high if you're only losing 40C from charge to TP. I've been experimenting with charge temps from 175-195C dep on bean, settling around your 180-190#. But, my TP's are 90C or below.

If you're roasting 200g in a 700g machine that could be your issue. Also, the BT probe may not be reflecting heat accurately due to too shallow a bean bed.

What happens if you increase charge to 340G?