DC Fan config in Artisan with TC4+

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hannson

#1: Post by hannson »

Hi,

I'm planning a home roaster leveraging on the latest version of TC4+ and Artisan.

I had searched through web and found several useful guides, but I still have one question on the DC Fan configuration in Artisan using TC4+.

Question:
Do I use IO3 in the configuration if I use the TC4+ onboard DC (2-wire) outputs? Is the following correct?

Event dialog box
Sliders tab/section
Action: Serial Command
Command: IO3;{}

Does this mean IO3 is used for both AC as well a DC on TC4+, as there are separate headers for IO3 on the TC4+ shield?

In addition, I intend to connect a DC input of 24V 2A into the TC4+, to power the DC Fan

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

While you may get a response here for technical questions, also consider the Artisan Community mailing list.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

hannson (original poster)

#3: Post by hannson (original poster) »

Thanks!

I'd check out that community.

==

Update:

I tested and the serial command I posted earlier worked.

chuckcoffee

#4: Post by chuckcoffee »

hannson

What fan are you using?

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

hannson wrote:Thanks!

I'd check out that community.

==

Update:

I tested and the serial command I posted earlier worked.
Congrats. I use the same command. My DC fan was configured with a mosfet controlled by IO3. I say "was" because after some 500 roasts the plastic fan blades disintegrated and I went back to my old and noisier AC fan controlled by OT1. I placed it much further away from the heat so it should do fine. But I wish to replace my DC fan to have a backup. Which fan did you choose? Does it have PWM capability or did you require a MOSFET or some such?
LMWDP #198

#6: Post by hannson (original poster) »

chuckcoffee wrote:hannson

What fan are you using?
DC Fan with plastic blades. DC motor rated at 20v.

#7: Post by hannson (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Congrats. I use the same command. My DC fan was configured with a mosfet controlled by IO3. I say "was" because after some 500 roasts the plastic fan blades disintegrated and I went back to my old and noisier AC fan controlled by OT1. I placed it much further away from the heat so it should do fine. But I wish to replace my DC fan to have a backup. Which fan did you choose? Does it have PWM capability or did you require a MOSFET or some such?
hi hi.

I'm using DC Fan with plastic blades too on a fluid bed setup. It's just a small motor so I need the TC4+ MOSFET.

I usually let the DC Fan run until I get the temps down to about 40 degrees Celsius/100 degrees fahrenheit before I shut down.

Been roasting for about 3 years (with manual controls). Never had the blades melt on me (yet) LOL... But I agree that's a problem.

I've been thinking about it and may stick to manual controls on the fan (the artisan control will be a "good to have").

Cheers!