Daterra Sweet Blue, tips anyone?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
nanook

#1: Post by nanook »

I tried a few time to roast those beam with different profile,and from light brown to city plus, even a bit oily, but i always get quite a lot of bitterness and even sourness and not the chocolate note that it is known for. Anybody, got some tips on roasting that one.

I roast for espresso, on a hottop 2k+

Thanks!
Rob

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Moxiechef »

Here's the Daterra Bruzzi I did last week for espresso. Pretty good, med-dark. My next round will be charged a little lower and step the gas up in the beginning vs. full on. Trying to stretch out the drying a little to be a touch more gentle on the beans. FWIW, I didn't mark the end of First Crack.

I do have a theory that on a roaster without a cooling bin agitator, you need to give it a few minutes of hand stirring to help get rid of the extra toasty chaff.

Advertisement
nanook (original poster)

#3: Post by nanook (original poster) »

Here's my last daterra sweet blue roast, look pretty similar to your! We even reach the first crack at exactly the same time 8min 24s! But not much sweetness im the cup. I roast on a hottop, so cooling is not a problem.

nanook (original poster)

#4: Post by nanook (original poster) »

Looking at rhe first profile, at 420f you must have been well in 2nd crack when you drop? I dropped mine at 399, at the sound of the first 2nd crack.

Rob

DaveC

#5: Post by DaveC »

you are roasting the Daterra Sweet blue to rapidly, this will cause early oil spotting and bitterness. The coffee needs more time in the roaster and a slower ramp to 1st and don't let it get too hot during 1st.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Moxiechef »

nanook wrote:Looking at rhe first profile, at 420f you must have been well in 2nd crack when you drop? I dropped mine at 399, at the sound of the first 2nd crack.

Rob
I dropped at 413F, second crack would have been around 423F or so for me.

nanook (original poster)

#7: Post by nanook (original poster) »

DaveC wrote:you are roasting the Daterra Sweet blue to rapidly, this will cause early oil spotting and bitterness. The coffee needs more time in the roaster and a slower ramp to 1st and don't let it get too hot during 1st.
Do you have an exemple of a better profile that you can show us to illustrate your point Timing of the phase and so on? Since i drop at the very first sign of 2nd crack i don't get any oil on the bean, and the coffee is still matte brown.

Rob

Advertisement
Beeroclock

#8: Post by Beeroclock »

Hi Nanook

I don't work in Fahrenheit, but think your TC readings are quite low - would be surprised if you got to SC at 399f.
I'm not an expert by any means but "normally" SC would come 20 or so degrees later.

I haven't got any sweet blue (would love to get hold of some) but have been roasting a Brazil Natural Corrego. I agree with Dave - that extending the roast will help - I give it a good minute and a half soak time and then bring on the heat gently. This gives me a longer drying time - but I find the beans are quite delicate and need this.

Anyway here's a roast I did yesterday to Illustrate. I've converted it to Fahrenheit...

I might add that I also pre-warm my beans.

Cheers Phil

DaveC

#9: Post by DaveC »

nanook wrote:Do you have an exemple of a better profile that you can show us to illustrate your point Timing of the phase and so on? Since i drop at the very first sign of 2nd crack i don't get any oil on the bean, and the coffee is still matte brown.

Rob
I would bet you get oil within a couple of weeks...but a better profile would be trying to not do sub 10 minute roasts and forcing first crack. Try 13.5 to 14 minute roasts, with first coming at around the time your trying to end the roasts. Sweet Blue absorbs heat and a lot of it. You need to have a slightly higher temp setting but not rush the coffee. I have roasted quite a bit of it as I had a few pentapacks of that specific coffee.

DaveC

#10: Post by DaveC replying to DaveC »

In fact drinking some at the moment that I roasted 10 days ago.....lovely chocolate caramel hit.