Daterra Sweet Blue, tips anyone? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » Feb 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Almico roasted an Ethiopian and posted a profile. You guys should do a search and mimick that profile. Assuming the name "sweet blue" is meant to mean sweet blueberries. If you get chocolate and caramel you are over shooting your roast.

Beeroclock

Postby Beeroclock » replying to crunchybean » Feb 10, 2019, 4:11 pm

Hmmm...really?? I think you might have the wrong end of the stick there..the Daterra is a Brazil.

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » replying to Beeroclock » Feb 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

Oh then my bad, still though I've had some fruity Brazil's by slowing through Millard and going hard and quick through development time. How you make it happen on your roaster, I am not sure.

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » replying to crunchybean » Feb 10, 2019, 4:47 pm

**for dry processed brazil**

nanook

Postby nanook » Feb 10, 2019, 9:09 pm

DaveC wrote:In fact drinking some at the moment that I roasted 10 days ago.....lovely chocolate caramel hit.

Thanks Dave,

14min to 1st crack seem awfully long, but i may try that if that is what it take to crank the chocolate flavor. Are your roasting for espresso or drip? Dropping right at the first crack might be a bit early for espresso. What is your deop temp?

I will try it and get back to you.
Rob

Beeroclock

Postby Beeroclock » replying to nanook » Feb 11, 2019, 4:32 am

I think what Dave meant was 14 min total roast time - so probably more like 11 or so mins to FC..

DaveC

Postby DaveC » replying to Beeroclock » Feb 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

yes absolutely 13.5 to 14m total roast time, gives deep rich chocolate with no bitterness (If you get the temps right). Yes you could say I roast for espresso and Americano, it's probably truer to say I roast appropriately for the coffee. I have roasted a lot of Daterra Sweet blue (I have quite a few Pentapacks of it, plus a few others like Mellow etc..

Moxiechef

Postby Moxiechef » replying to DaveC » Feb 11, 2019, 7:14 pm

Any way you can post some profiles or time goals?

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Feb 11, 2019, 11:06 pm

I've roasted some Sweet Blue and still have some beans. I find they aren't as great tasting until you run them on the a little on the dark side. End before 2C. Recently I picked up some Sweet Yellow. Now that is a sweeter coffee when roasted like Jonathan's profile!

The quality of Daterra beans are quite good. Very little defects. And I like the info they provide about flavor notes. However something bothers me when they don't tell you what variety or cultivars of beans they are. Nothing about altitude. What is a penta process?