Data logging hardware recommendations

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Aquinas

#1: Post by Aquinas »

Hi there,

I just purchased a used 2009 Ambex YM-2 roaster. I have been reading a bunch of data logging stuff, and it is making my head spin. I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for a data logging hardware setup that would work well on this roaster.

Thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Are you familiar with what type of probes it has? I use Artisan for my software, it's free and it's highly customizable and just plain awesome in every way. For the hardware, there's several common vendors to choose from. Phidgets makes really nice units with nice quality enclosures, and have tons of options for how to transmit the data. I have one, that also has a wireless dongle so if I wanted to, I could data log to my laptop wirelessly. I also have a TC4C from Jim Galt. It's robust, and has lasted me almost 6 years of regular use and mild abuse. Jim is absolutely spectacular when it comes to supporting his projects.

I also have an Amprobe T54 that I haven't even dabbled with. But it can collect and store the signals that are downloadable to other devices.

My 1 kilo Ambex clone is equipt with 4 probes from Omega, all customized for type, length, wiring, etc.. Very useful. Does your Ambex 2 kilo have a small control panel with LED readouts and such? Is there a box where the thermocouples connect into? I can't recall how far down the line of roasters with the data collection stuff goes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Aquinas (original poster)

#3: Post by Aquinas (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.

From what I understand the roaster uses type J Thermocouples with a Watlow SD series PID.

This roaster does not have any of the data collection capabilities like the new ones come with. I called to see what it would cost to get the parts to add that. He said it would be about $1500.

N3Roaster

#4: Post by N3Roaster »

That's excessive by an order of magnitude. There are a couple of options here. If all you're interested in is basic logging you can pick up a bit of type J thermocouple extension wire and a Phidgets 1048. Even if you need to buy a screwdriver the cost should come in well under $200 assuming you already have a computer. If you want to have control functions available on the computer, you'd be looking at perhaps replacing the PID with one that's feature, size, and electrically compatible but adds Modbus RTU (huge range of parts available but you should be able to find something under $300, figuring out exactly what model number to go with is the hard part but maybe someone else has a more specific recommendation than I can offer) along with an RS-485 to USB adapter (about $20 last time I bought one) and some wire (if you have some old phone or Ethernet cable lying around that'll work fine for the short run you'd be doing).

Aquinas (original poster)

#5: Post by Aquinas (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.

When using the extension wire are you able to keep the PID active as well?

N3Roaster

#6: Post by N3Roaster »

Yes, but you only get the temperature measurements that way. No control data, but the existing controls would continue to work the same.