Cyclone Chaff Collector and Fan Setup -Huky 500

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rickpatbrown

#1: Post by Rickpatbrown »

I am in the process of purchasing a Huky 500 and talking to Mr. Li about some possible options. I brought up the question about integrating a cyclone chaff collector in the T-line so that I could keep the fan from choking during back to back roasts. I'm waiting to hear back from Mr. Li to see if he is interested in experimenting.

I came across a thread in HomeRoaster.org that mentioned this aluminum cyclone extracter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287574 ... b201603_55 ,but the thread died off before the poster reported on it's effectiveness.

Below is a screen shot of the dimensions, 19cm tall. Its pretty tiny. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or other tiny cyclone extracters? I don't know what CFM the Huky fan draws. I'd be adjusting it with a router/dimmer controller. Mr. Li said it is a 6 inch caster fan.

chuckcoffee

#2: Post by chuckcoffee »

Rick. not sure if saw this post. I was looking at this earlier this year. This post was helpful.

I will try and post what I ended up with when I roast next.

Need advice: Huky 500T + Cyclone

Alslaw

#3: Post by Alslaw »

Hi Rick, I used the cheap plastic cyclone from eBay and put together a simple setup that works great. I grabbed a 3/4" hose from amazon (search "Gates 28089 pre heat duct hose"), and secured everything with aluminum tape. The huky fan fit right on top of the cyclone and I just have the fan legs hooked into the wall.

Excuse the mess, but here are a couple photos to illustrate the setup.

LMWDP # 606

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#4: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to Alslaw »

That looks awesome! I bet it works well.
I was hoping for something a little more compact. The one that I linked to could go right in line with the T-pipe, if Mr. Li wanted to manufacture it. I would not be so keen on cutting the T-pipe myself.

My gut tells me that the 19cm, aluminum cyclone extractor is too small for the Huky.
But for $15, it might be worth a shot.

#5: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

chuckcoffee wrote:Rick. not sure if saw this post. I was looking at this earlier this year. This post was helpful.

I will try and post what I ended up with when I roast next.

Need advice: Huky 500T + Cyclone
Yeah. I saw this post.

Cool! Show us what you got!

#6: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Alslaw wrote:Hi Rick, I used the cheap plastic cyclone from eBay and put together a simple setup that works great.
Have you ever measures the temperature of the exhaust air as it comes out of the T-pipe? I'd be worried about plastic melting, but I assume you have not had this problem.

Btw- I like the Sputnik look of the inverted Huky fan/exhaust!

#7: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Mr. Li responded to me as I expected. He said the 9cm cyclone is too small. I'm tempted to buy one anyway and test it out.

Otherwise, I might just try to make my own.

I would prefer a aesethically pleasing solution, though. This will be set up in our kitchen and people will have to look at it everyday :lol:

Alslaw

#8: Post by Alslaw »

Rickpatbrown wrote:Have you ever measures the temperature of the exhaust air as it comes out of the T-pipe? I'd be worried about plastic melting, but I assume you have not had this problem.

Btw- I like the Sputnik look of the inverted Huky fan/exhaust!
That's part of the reason why I use a longer exhaust hose (plus I don't like to be too cramped when I'm roasting). The hose is long enough to cool everything down when it gets to the plastic. I haven't had any issues with it in about a year.
LMWDP # 606

curmudgeon

#9: Post by curmudgeon »

Just the other day I decided to work on a cyclone for my huky, and lo and behold, this thread appears!

Part of my workflow is to clean out the roast fan after every roast. I can manage four roasts an hour on average, so it's not too cumbersome, but not having to empty it each time would be nice. My main motivation for a cyclone, however, is the shop vac hose I use downstream of the fan gets fuzzy, and I don't have a good way of cleaning it.

My intention is to 3D print the cyclone body, but the heat transfer issue is one that gives me pause. Downstream of the fan is cool enough, but upstream is another matter entirely.

I'll be watching this space with interest to see what develops.

SJM

#10: Post by SJM »

I found this old picture from February 2015

The cyclone itself was a beauty. The instability of the whole tower was terrifying. And the connectors were....melty.

Since I only roasted one batch per session, cleaning out the chaff was not an onerous job, so I went back to the original right-side-up plan after a while.