Current Ethiopians at Sweet Maria's

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Case17

#1: Post by Case17 »

Any opinions on these?

Ethiopia Sidama Bombe (DP): Anyone tried this coffee out? Was thinking of buying some, curious if others found it as fruity as they say.

Ethiopia Guji Hambela Wamena Akrabi (WP): Anyone tried this one? I haven't had a good coffee with lots of floral character in a very long time. I prefer DP typically, so am curious if the florals are intense or subtle.

Thanks!

Jrodanapolis

#2: Post by Jrodanapolis replying to Case17 »

I've tried the Hambela, but I burnt those delicate florals right off. I'm going to give it another try on Sunday, keeping it right at a City roast to try to get as much of that out as I can.

I just ordered the Bombe, haven't had a chance to roast it yet. If it's here by Sunday, I'll give that one a shot and let you know. The descriptions for both sound awesome!

I have tried their DP Keramo and highly recommend it. I think it smells like strawberry cereal, my girlfriend calls it fruity pebbles. Keep it super light and you'll be rewarded with excellent fruity flavors.

Advertisement
GC7

#3: Post by GC7 »

I just bought more of the Keramo. IMO it is stellar. A clean DP without ferment and yet a fruit bowl full of sweet berries with a hint of spice. It reminds me of a coffee from (the old) Green Coffee Buying Club offered by Mike McCoffee many years ago. He went through maybe 30 bags of the stuff :-). Keramo works as SO espresso, brew and just yesterday I tried a post roast blend with a Brazil and Brazil plus Guatemala. Yum!

Case17 (original poster)

#4: Post by Case17 (original poster) replying to GC7 »

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll get both!

rbk

#5: Post by rbk »

I've been drinking the Keramo as well (roasted with an aggressive fast/light profile). Very fragrant and perfume-like, sweet, big floral/berry notes, definitely recommended.

The Bombe also looks interesting, and I'll undoubtedly grab some of that as well. I can't help but feel particularly susceptible to SM's marketing with these emphatic tasting notes sometimes :D

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

rbk wrote:I can't help but feel particularly susceptible to SM's marketing with these emphatic tasting notes sometimes :D
I like looking at the graphs rather than the words. But do check the arrival date. Sometimes it's older than you would expect.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Tetra

#7: Post by Tetra »

GC7 wrote:I just bought more of the Keramo. IMO it is stellar. A clean DP without ferment and yet a fruit bowl full of sweet berries with a hint of spice. It reminds me of a coffee from (the old) Green Coffee Buying Club offered by Mike McCoffee many years ago. He went through maybe 30 bags of the stuff :-). Keramo works as SO espresso, brew and just yesterday I tried a post roast blend with a Brazil and Brazil plus Guatemala. Yum!
I should have read this thread yesterday. I placed an order yesterday evening for several different SO beans from sweet Maria's. I failed to notice the Keramo in the offerings. I may have to place a second order now. I guess there are worse things than Christmas in January.

Advertisement
GC7

#8: Post by GC7 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I like looking at the graphs rather than the words. But do check the arrival date. Sometimes it's older than you would expect.
I am in total agreement with this policy. It takes 93 points and a really enticing flavor description to purchase from SM. 4-8 month old coffee first offered for sale is a non-starter unless its exceptional.I plan on vacuum sealing the new batch and hope it keeps its berry fruit character. My remaining Ethiopia Misty Valley and Bedhatu Jibasho will be roasted for friends and family :D

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to GC7 »

I haven't limited myself to the scoring and have been happy for years. But I make mostly espresso.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jacob.kole

#10: Post by jacob.kole »

Ethiopia Organic Dry Process Sidama Keramo is excellent. Mixed some with a Brazil at about 60:40 and it is great as both espresso and pour over.