Current Ethiopians at Sweet Maria's - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jrodanapolis

#21: Post by Jrodanapolis »

I haven't tried the Agaro Sadi Loya, but my favorite of their washed Ethiopians I've had so far is the Sidama Shantawene. I just roasted my second batch last night, and might have to buy some more before it's sold out. I really get the orange-y flavors they mention in the description at City/City+.
edpiep wrote: Check out the Agaro Sadi Loya Co-op you are still looking for good ETH green from SM. It's a banger, roasted through 10lbs last year and it's a great option for filter and SO espresso.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-ag ... -6120.html

-EP

rcs914

#22: Post by rcs914 »

All right you all have convinced me. I have 5lbs of the Keramo on the way now. I haven't roasted in 10 years - so lets see how we do. Can anyone give me a basic profile for a stir crazy/Turbo convection oven that will work? I've also got an ancient hearthware roaster and an original poppery. It's been so long I don't remember what I used to do. Guessing a drying step for 3-4 minutes and then raise the temp, and take it into FC or just past and then dump?

Jrodanapolis

#23: Post by Jrodanapolis »

You're going to love the Keramo! It is really amazing stuff. If you haven't already read through the thread "Tips for Roasting an Ethiopian Natural," scroll back to about page 3 of the roasting forum and read through page 10-12.

Post #103 is very informative:
Tips for roasting an Ethiopian natural

Dr Gary and blkswn give some great tips. In a nutshell, they say not to take it above ~403C, drop shortly after getting FC rolling, and to really exaggerate the declining RoR if possible.

Oddly enough, here was my best roast of the Keramo so far:

I didn't mean to go that fast, but I think what saved it was the short development time. If you can get the RoR to be a little lower than mine going into FC, I think 30-45 seconds of post FC development time is about right for this one to preserve those fragile fruity flavors.

I haven't been able to recreate the exact flavor from that roast again, but I swear it tasted like strawberry special K cereal. My girlfriend keeps asking when I'm going to make her more of the "fruity pebbles coffee."

Good luck, and keep us posted on your results!

Case17 (original poster)

#24: Post by Case17 (original poster) replying to Jrodanapolis »

I have tried out both the keramo and the bombe. Both were alright, but not great. I assume my roast profile needs optimizing. I have had DP Ethiopians before that blew me away, and these have not yet done that. The Keramo had a subtle berry hint (and yes, fruity pebbles, but very faint). The Bombe was an interesting taste... perhaps the cherry/cider that the description listed... not berry. A little better than the keramo, but definitely not as intense as the SM review would lead one to believe. But again, perhaps it is my roast profile.

On my roaster (a Aillio Bullet) I have found that DPs are better to roast to ~208-210 C. Less than that and the flavors are pretty muted and very little body. I use the IBTMS (IR laser) for my temperature readings, which I assume are accurate. Supposedly you don't have to play the thermocouple game where the 'real' temperature varies from roaster to roaster. But, there is a thermocouple as well. Anyways, i chose 206C as a target based on the recommendations here to target no more than 403 F (206 C)... and so perhaps the solution is actually that i am dropping too late and I should actually go to lower T. On my other roasts with other Ethiopian DPs (such as the Kayon Mtn Tarroo from SM), I have found that 208-210 C gives a very full flavor, though not really berry/jammy.

The Bombe I roasted to 206C, the Keramo to 207C. The profiles are fairly similar to each, listed below. Would welcome advice from anyone.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster »

I used a 275 pre-heat on my 750 g roast of the Keramo which turned out pretty good, even with some problems with the ROR after first crack.

https://roast.world/my/roasts/Q1_D5~u71EmPsML1sKsxp
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Case17 (original poster)

#26: Post by Case17 (original poster) replying to yakster »

Interesting, and thanks for the link. Did you have much fruit/berry? Looks like you roasted to 214C which seems to be on the high end for DP Ethiopians.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by yakster »

I got a good amount of berry, my IBTS normally reads around 211 at first crack.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Case17 (original poster)

#28: Post by Case17 (original poster) »

yakster wrote:I used a 275 pre-heat on my 750 g roast of the Keramo which turned out pretty good, even with some problems with the ROR after first crack.

https://roast.world/my/roasts/Q1_D5~u71EmPsML1sKsxp
Also, I'm a little confused. You get first crack at 210C on the Bullet? That seems extremely high; I usually see first crack at 195C... and from what I've read, 195C is normal....

false1001

#29: Post by false1001 »

Case17 wrote:Also, I'm a little confused. You get first crack at 210C on the Bullet? That seems extremely high; I usually see first crack at 195C... and from what I've read, 195C is normal....
I've seen it everywhere from 197 to 205C (386-401F) on mine, depending on the coffee.
Case17 wrote: I have tried out both the keramo and the bombe. Both were alright, but not great. I assume my roast profile needs optimizing. I have had DP Ethiopians before that blew me away, and these have not yet done that. The Keramo had a subtle berry hint (and yes, fruity pebbles, but very faint). The Bombe was an interesting taste... perhaps the cherry/cider that the description listed... not berry. A little better than the keramo, but definitely not as intense as the SM review would lead one to believe. But again, perhaps it is my roast profile.

On my roaster (a Aillio Bullet) I have found that DPs are better to roast to ~208-210 C. Less than that and the flavors are pretty muted and very little body. I use the IBTMS (IR laser) for my temperature readings, which I assume are accurate. Supposedly you don't have to play the thermocouple game where the 'real' temperature varies from roaster to roaster. But, there is a thermocouple as well. Anyways, i chose 206C as a target based on the recommendations here to target no more than 403 F (206 C)... and so perhaps the solution is actually that i am dropping too late and I should actually go to lower T. On my other roasts with other Ethiopian DPs (such as the Kayon Mtn Tarroo from SM), I have found that 208-210 C gives a very full flavor, though not really berry/jammy.

The Bombe I roasted to 206C, the Keramo to 207C. The profiles are fairly similar to each, listed below. Would welcome advice from anyone.
Try shortening the drying phase and extending maillard... I've found that with naturals and especially with berry/fruity naturals you want close to equal time in the drying/mailliard phases. I've also made large strides with the bullet once I started using constant fan/drum speeds with the bullet as well. With extended maillard phases you can drop a little cooler, which helps preserve acidity/florals along with the fruits which might give you more of the jammy notes.

Case17 (original poster)

#30: Post by Case17 (original poster) »

false1001 wrote:I've seen it everywhere from 197 to 205C (386-401F) on mine, depending on the coffee.

Try shortening the drying phase and extending maillard... I've found that with naturals and especially with berry/fruity naturals you want close to equal time in the drying/mailliard phases. I've also made large strides with the bullet once I started using constant fan/drum speeds with the bullet as well. With extended maillard phases you can drop a little cooler, which helps preserve acidity/florals along with the fruits which might give you more of the jammy notes.
On my bullet, I would say I pretty consistently see 195C - 198C for 1st crack, with maybe 200C on uncommon occasion.

Thanks for the tipping on shortening tthe drying phase & extending the maillard! To make sure I'm understanding correctly, this is a profile in which the slope of the ROR is more negative? In other words, it is very high in the beginning (to speed through drying) and then lowered as you approach maillard? Alternatively, I might go for an exponential decay line shape, where the ROR is very high and then rapidly drops when I get into maillard. Do you have any example profiles to illustrate?