Crown Jewel: Ethiopia Kochere Tej Process - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
coffeemmichael

#11: Post by coffeemmichael »

Just roasted my first batch

Prepped a cupping bowl immediately after cooling--

Incredible florals, orange candy, ultra-clean

Excited to see what resting will do for this bean

drcraig

#12: Post by drcraig »

Ordered a box of this one yesterday. Based on everyone's thoughts so far, I can't wait to get this one in the roaster!

farmroast

#13: Post by farmroast »

Would be interested in 2-5 lbs
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

I'm getting ready to roast this one up in my Behmor. Thanks, Tom, for the box split.

I ran the Green coffee through a cool cycle in the Behmor grid drum since there's a range of sizes in this coffee going down to the small Moka sized greens, but surprisingly none of the coffee fell through the grid in the small (standard, I think now) Behmor drum, so I'm good to go.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm sipping thru a well rested batch that I brewed on my Brazen at work a bit ago. It's still very bright, very smooth. I'm getting floral honey and a mild, sweet orange peel, but being completely honest, everything is a tad muddled on my Brazen sometimes. It can be hit or miss. Maybe a slightly coarser grind and thinner bed depth might help.

Generally, with really good coffees like these, I try to savor them more with a simple Kalita Wave pour-over at home anyway. It's definitely got an interesting sweet&sour thing going on, almost similar to the glaze on cheap Chinese food take-out orange chicken.

I might bust out the odd brewing devices on this while it's still fresh. Try it in a siphon and or a cezve.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

badperson

#16: Post by badperson »

I think they're sold out, I wasn't able to find it on the royal site.

doubleOsoul

#17: Post by doubleOsoul »

I thought I saw it last night when I was shopping last night on Royal.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by sosha »

If anyone is interested in splitting a box, let me know!

edit: Seems it's gone. I'd be interested in joining other on future buys of Crown Jewels. I'm always excited to try something new!

Patty
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

[creative nickname]

#19: Post by [creative nickname] »

I roasted this a few days ago and we are drinking our first cup this morning (batch brewed in our Bonavita), brewed after three days of rest. My roast presented a really clear peach note, both in the aroma and the taste. It also had nice floral aromatics, a pleasing vanilla note, and a moderate, milky body. In all these ways, it reminded me much more of a washed Yirg than a DP, except that it had less dryness and more body than most washed Yirgs. All in all it was a stellar cup, and it makes me wish I had more than three pounds to play with.

(If anyone somehow got MORE of this than they want, please don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll take it off your hands!)

My roast was fast and light, running 3:09/2:59/1:23 for a total time of 7:31, with 18% of that time spent in development. FC started at a measured BT of 372F and I dropped at 387F (+15F), as first cracks were starting to taper off but not fully finished.

I'll probably pull shots with this soon, and when I do I'll post some notes.
LMWDP #435

[creative nickname]

#20: Post by [creative nickname] »

Tried my first shot just now, and I liked it quite a bit, even though I targeted this roast more for filter brewing than espresso. I used a fine grind, pulled hot with no flush, with 19g, 51out over the course of 1:30. The shot was syrupy and sweet, featuring more of those peach notes along with sweet orange-infused caramels. The sweetness lingered on the tongue into a long aftertaste. Probably the best light roast shot I've pulled in a while!
LMWDP #435