The Cormorant has Landed! - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Southpaw

#11: Post by Southpaw »

YouTube and search cormorant roaster. There are a handful of videos to check out. Has me very interested. I emailed yesterday and got a response today. Price is listed above plus 100£ shipping to US. About $1975 total. Said they are taking orders for September 2018 delivery right now.

mikemaddux

#12: Post by mikemaddux »

I'm a very likely customer, very soon...

Tonefish

#13: Post by Tonefish »

Looks great! Here's to many Happy Roasts!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

freeadvice

#14: Post by freeadvice »

Where does the chaff go?

sosha
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by sosha »

I see there are holes pre-drilled for thermocouples. Have you tried using Artisan with it?
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Beeroclock (original poster)

#16: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

There is a very neat chaff collector draw at the back of the Cormorant.

As for digital thermocouples - I've ordered a Mastech MS6514 and am in sorting out BT and ET probes at the moment.

Thanks Philip

mack1611

#17: Post by mack1611 »

New here , been lurking... just about to pull the trigger on a Kaldi Fortis and I see this... what to do???

Beeroclock (original poster)

#18: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

Living in the UK this was a no brainer for me - but obviously more of dilema if you are in the States. I was seriously looking at the Kaldi too, but I have no experience with it and have only just received my Cormorant. Size wise the Cormorant looks to be a fair bit more compact and has a built in burner and very nifty chaff collection. Smoke is very well controlled and Johan roasts in his workshop - with a vent to the roof.

The Kaldi does come with a data logger, which the Cormorant doesn't - I've ordered a Mastech MS 6514 and will run this with Artisan. For the moment I roasting using the built in analogue probe, which I suspect is a good deal less responsive than my digital probes will be, but does provide a good guide to charge temp, turnaround and drop temp.

To be honest - I had become far to reliant on graphs and probes roasting with my Quest and am trying to become less obsessive about this and go a bit more with sight, smell etc.

One thing I will say about the Cormorant is that Johan really puts his heart and soul into making them, they are his babies...that is something that I have bought into, a it like buying a bespoke bike frame made of steel. Ironically the little Cormorant detailing reminded me of bike lugs...

Cheers Phil

mikemaddux

#19: Post by mikemaddux »

mack1611 wrote:New here , been lurking... just about to pull the trigger on a Kaldi Fortis and I see this... what to do???
Buy local!

To me the Cormorant seems like a better system, plus you'll be dealing with an attentive manufacturer who wants you to be happy.

mikemaddux

#20: Post by mikemaddux »

I just ordered a Cormorant!