Cormorant BT measurement

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonito

Postby Tonito » Mar 22, 2019, 9:45 am

Hi Coffee Lovers
Tonito is my name. I am thinking about getting a Cormorant. I know some of you have this roaster which seems like a nice one but not very popular since it's fairly new.
My question is: Are you able to get accurate BT ? Supposedly the same probe that measures ET is also used to measure Bt . The Et indicator automatically becomes Bt after you load in the beans. I understand This is the system only on this roaster. That's why Iam reaching out to you for your experience. FYI I would like to eventually use artisan.
Would one of the Cormorant owners give me your opinion?
.Thanks

Almico

Postby Almico » Mar 22, 2019, 10:56 am

There are two probes on the Cormorant. The ET is mounted in the chimney and the BT is on the faceplate.

Yes, you can get very accurate BT readings.

mack1611

Postby mack1611 » Mar 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

There is also a analog BT probe which lags behind the digital BT .

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Mar 22, 2019, 1:24 pm

Tonito wrote:My question is: Are you able to get accurate BT ? Supposedly the same probe that measures ET is also used to measure Bt . The Et indicator automatically becomes Bt after you load in the beans. I understand This is the system only on this roaster. That's why Iam reaching out to you for your experience. FYI I would like to eventually use artisan.
Would one of the Cormorant owners give me your opinion?
.Thanks

You are describing the stock analog probe which isn't particularly accurate. Just about everyone adds an optional BT & Et thermocouple. The digital BT probe mounts just below the analog probe. Best spot for the digital Et probe is through the lower chimney mounting bolt with some bending required after installation.
LMWDP 267

Tonito

Postby Tonito » Mar 22, 2019, 10:12 pm

Thanks Guys for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.
Now tell me please, what would I need to buy in order to run Artisan on this roaster and would you be able to give me instructions on hooking it up and running it. I am handy in electronics and mechanics.
Thanks, Tonito

HoldTheOnions

Postby HoldTheOnions » replying to Tonito » Mar 22, 2019, 11:32 pm

It's easy, you just need to connect the thermocouples to a compatible device and then to your computer https://artisan-scope.org/devices/index Phidgets and temperature meters are popular for their simplicity and low cost.

AlexGS

Postby AlexGS » Mar 23, 2019, 8:25 am

I use Phidgets and my current setup is VintHUB, TMP1101 for temperature reading from 2 ungrounded TCs, REL1100 for fan speed control.
For BT/ET I use probes from MillCity, they come with M8 fitting which is the same size Johan taped the BT. Connecting all of this is trivial.

I'm on to my next Phidgets project with a light meter (1142 Light sensor) and a 640nm light diode to get a Argtron analog for my roast level monitoring.

HoldTheOnions

Postby HoldTheOnions » Mar 23, 2019, 11:03 am

AlexGS wrote:I'm on to my next Phidgets project with a light meter (1142 Light sensor) and a 640nm light diode to get a Argtron analog for my roast level monitoring.

That sounds pretty cool. Like to see how that goes. :-)

Almico

Postby Almico » May 09, 2019, 10:40 am

I've taken my Cormorant off the block and decided to make it work as a sample roaster.

First order of business is to get better control of the gas. First mod: Outboard Parker needle valve to control the gas:

Next, get good BT readings from 100g charges. I'm trying to be the least invasive as possible at first and not make irreversible mods just yet.

Second mod was to install a MCR 75mm x 2mm TC in a hole drilled through the left door socket screw and bend it to the right along the door.

I set up Artisan like this for the time being:

I played around with all manner of Artisan settings to try and get the most stable RoR traces possible. It's still a work in process, but these are two roasts from last night:

The key the the BT placement is it is not hard mounted. It is allowed to move up and down with the bean mass. Otherwise it will bind between the stirring fins and door when a beans jambs in there. I would try an RTD to get smoother curves, but the probe needs to take a sharp bend where it is currently mounted and I think I need a 2mm sheath to make the turn. I haven't found any 2mm RTDs, but I'm sure one can be made once I have proof of concept.

No ET for the moment. I cannibalized a TC trying to get something to work. I have another on the way.

One of the tricks I will need to figure out is the charge/initial heat setting to get DE at 4:00 and still have enough power to finish the roast. Right now I either get early DE or very flat BT curves.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » May 10, 2019, 11:14 pm

Almico wrote:One of the tricks I will need to figure out is the charge/initial heat setting to get DE at 4:00 and still have enough power to finish the roast. Right now I either get early DE or very flat BT curves.

I'd bet if you drop the charge temp to 325F, your roast will be at DE in 4min. Would the roaster then not have power to keep rest of roast similar?