Copan Trade?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bradenl123

#1: Post by bradenl123 »

Has anyone ever bought beans from Copan Trade? If so, how were they? I usually buy from Sweet Marias or Bodhi Leaf and I have read the forum of "green coffee" and explored those places to...I just wanted to buy some really good greens to try because I just bought a Huky :D

Braden

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Something seemed off about the site. I searched for it on Google and when I tried to go there was given a warning that my connection wasn't private. I backed out without going to the site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
bradenl123 (original poster)

#3: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Gary,

Odd. I emailed them and the owner got back with me in about an hour and I log on at home and on a government computer with no issue or warning. They are family owned and have been running for 30 years. The reason I asked is because they sell as little as 1-5 lbs, 25-20, and up to a ton. They also do a mixed pallet where you can pick 10 origins at 250lbs so 25lbs each. There coffees look pretty good. I don't know much about Q grading but they are in the 80s where as Sweet Marias is typically 85 and up? I am probably going to purchase some greens from then and if all goes well I can update everyone.

Braden

#4: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Funny, now when I log onto the site its not about selling coffee but raising money for farmers and having healthcare in South America.....definitely suspicious. Well, what a bummer...Looked like some decent deals and greens.

Braden

#5: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

I ended up calling them and there was a guy Matt I spoke to. He said they are in the process of fixing their site but they have been in business since 2002. He was working with the certificates today and what not so that could have been why that happened Gary. Anyways, he was a great guy to talk to and walked me through what was happening because it was kind of fishy. I will be placing an order and I'll let HB'ers know what I think.

Braden

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Thank you, Braden. Sometimes a website is compromised because the company hosting the website hosts other sites on the same server that have been compromised by malware. Your contact may want to speak with their hosting company.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Rush

#7: Post by Rush »

I have done business with them. I bought a used Toper Cafemino (Electric) and green coffees. I have lots of info if you are interested, but the bottom line is that they store coffee in a dirt floor warehouse with zero climate control in all seasons. I wouldn't recommend buying greens from them, they are not very professional. They were quite nice when I dealt with them though. But quite proud of both a used and dirty roaster and their prized 80point greens....

Hope this helps somehow.

Edit: I forgot to compare to other green suppliers. As an example: SM, Roastmasters, and Burman all have much higher quality greens in general than Copan. I am not trying to insult them, I wish them well. But trying to provide a reference point for you that don't have any experience with them.

Advertisement

#8: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Rush,

I appreciate the feedback. I haven't tried Roastmasters or Burman...I will give them a try!

Braden

AKucewicz

#9: Post by AKucewicz »

bradenl123 wrote: They also do a mixed pallet where you can pick 10 origins at 250lbs so 25lbs each.
Love this idea!

CAFE_JD

#10: Post by CAFE_JD »

I've had some Mon Mal and Robusta (I thnk it was labeled 'organic Madagascar') from Burman that seemed just fine for what it was. I also got free t-shirt 8)