Colombia Las Margaritas, "Bourbon Noir"

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Dec 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Washed after fermented 78 hours in mucilage. Fragrance lit up the kitchen while I distributed two boxes.
Cauca Bourbon. Large beans, 17/18/19
5000'.
Going to treat it as a natural and drop at 1:30 into 1st, cup, and work from there.
Comments invited.

https://royalcoffee.com/products/cj1239/
-----
LMWDP #339

GC7

Postby GC7 » Dec 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

I was kindly sent 4 pounds from Chert (THANKS AGAIN). His sample sent to me was a bit darker than the one described below but he nailed it. Perhaps he will comment.

I treated this as I would a high grown Colombian. Total roast time was exactly 11 minutes with first crack starting at 9:05. Drop temperature was 428 degrees which is about 10 degrees below where second crack normally starts on my hottop with this type of bean.

I find it intensely winey in flavor with more than enough acidity to distinguish it. There is other fruit and honey sweetness in the background especially as the cup cools. It's a wonderful coffee and I look forward to your take.

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Dec 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

I got 5 lbs - Royal seemed to roast this very light.... so that was going to be my first attempt. Although, I'm finding that I like coffees more when I introduce a good bit more dev time. Hmmm, what shall I try first ?

GC7 - so you had 2 minutes of dev time and that got you 10degrees prior to when 2nd starts? That must be 2 minutes of ALOT of energy and heat going on... I say that based upon me having 40-50F of range from fcs to scs. So you had at least ~15f ROR during dev, dang.

Anyways, yeah, royal carried alot of heat into first but dropped after a minute and had 18F of dev. I'll have to see how much heat I'm carrying into first to see how far I go.

GC7

Postby GC7 » Dec 15, 2018, 5:49 pm

dale_cooper wrote:GC7 - so you had 2 minutes of dev time and that got you 10degrees prior to when 2nd starts? That must be 2 minutes of ALOT of energy and heat going on... I say that based upon me having 40-50F of range from fcs to scs. So you had at least ~15f ROR during dev, dang.

Anyways, yeah, royal carried alot of heat into first but dropped after a minute and had 18F of dev. I'll have to see how much heat I'm carrying into first to see how far I go.

First crack started at 394 on my bean probe so I had about 36 degrees of rise during and after first crack initiated. I cut the power from 10 (full) to 8 at a little over 380 degrees to slow down. This is in winter conditions roasting in my garage where I open the garage door to the colder air after drying. I also upped my voltage on the variac to 120 at full heat, Summer I use lower voltage. This is different than I use for natural process coffee.

This worked well but no better for sure than the 60 gram sample Chert sent me that was a bit darker. He might comment on his roast strategy. With the hottop I like to push things along. Longer roasts are more bland. Hope this helps.

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Dec 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

We've been loving this one around here! First roast I finished in city roast territory, adding 17F past first crack start temp over a 1:27 development window, with 7:49 total roast time. I loved that roast but thought I could probably pull a bit more sweetness into the cup with a slightly slower approach, so I just did a second run with 8:35 total time, still finishing at FCS+17F but this time over 1:40 of development. Didn't want to vary too far from the first parameters as the cups were already so good!

Here's an image of the more recent profile, in case anyone finds it helpful:

Tasting notes:

Cupped after three days of rest.

Dry Fragrance: Cherries, port wine, pipe tobacco, vanilla, cloves
Wet Aroma: Vanilla, caramel, plums, cloves
Taste: Sweet blackberry/strawberry jam upfront. Moderate to light body. Lingering, sweet fruit in aftertaste. Subtle floral tones emerge as cup cools.

Based on the dry fragrance, I'm excited to try this roast for espresso in a few days!
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Dec 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

[creative nickname] wrote:...

Most interested in the total times and time in first. Cupping notes will help. Profiles are great but what are we experiencing.
-----
LMWDP #339

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Dec 16, 2018, 12:25 am

I just did roast #1 and its quite a bit slower than my other recently bullet roasts.

Dry: 4:15
FC: 8:27
Roast End: 10:36

20% DTR
~13deg C increase in temp ( +23F)

Next roast I"ll hit first at like 6:45 and finish at 8:00 (which have been closer to my city roast time segments on the r1). These beans are beautiful though, the roast looks so even and should be interesting to see how the slower development tastes.

Chert

Postby Chert » Dec 16, 2018, 12:23 pm

I'm experiencing pleasure reading this thread. I'm glad you liked my roast, Geoffrey. That one was 5 to dry 3:40 ramp and 1 min 55 to drop for 18% post 1c development.

I'm getting lots of sweetness, and reminders of those coffees in which the beans are stored in bourbon barrels before roasting. It combines with milk wonderfully, so much that I haven't really had much of it as espresso. I am drinking french press of it now and as far as berries, floral or spice, I would call this one berries, dark berries like the black ones. Tamarack Cellars 2003 red blend expressed as coffee. Okay okay I'm getting carried away. But anyway really great stuff and one I've enjoyed equally at 4:54 - 3:30 - 2:15 for 20% dev which is in the cup now. It may be one that I enjoy with any variation of my usual roast methods.
Abolish single use plastics.

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Dec 16, 2018, 12:39 pm

Boldjava wrote:Most interested in the total times and time in first. Cupping notes will help. Profiles are great but what are we experiencing.

The first roast was consumed during a busy week, so I had general impressions but no time for focused attention to cupping. Once this batch rests I'll share some detailed notes!
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Dec 18, 2018, 8:43 am

I was looking for a Christmas coffee and grabbed two boxes and split them among us Minnesota roasters.
Glad I did. (Coffee will get served with dessert on Christmas day, standing rib roast done on the Big Green Egg)

1st crack: 9:00
Drop: 10:40
(Gorgeous roast. Moved in synch. I took a long, lazy, softer approach to the coffee, treating it as I would a natural).

Prepped: Yama Vacpot, 201*

Fragrance: Winey
Aroma: Wines, herbs, chocolate, cocoa. All in and out.
Acidity: Malic
Flavor: Blackberry, dried apricot, black plum, port wine
(As the cup cools, cup morphs a bit/floral notes appear)
Body: Thick, pronounced, juicy, coating
Finish: Port wine initial part of cup; later a vanilla finish.
Aftertaste: Lllllllong vanilla.

Royal says you will "love it or leave it." I love it -- there is no ignoring this cup. You can't just sip and read the paper. You can read the cup and sip the news.

-----
LMWDP #339
★ Helpful