Colombia Las Margaritas, "Bourbon Noir" - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

Postby Boldjava » Jan 07, 2019, 11:35 am

dale_cooper wrote:... I still think this may be QUITE good, just wanted to hit FC at 7 and hit first crack pretty hard. Tempted to do another roast right now :)

I think your roast times are fine but you might get more of the fruits at 1:40 or so. I wouldn't be so intent on 7:00 min first. Let the bean speak.
-----
LMWDP #339

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » replying to Boldjava » Jan 07, 2019, 11:56 am

Thanks Dave - I'm intent on 7 because I wanted to shorten my dev phase, 1:15-1:40 like you mentioned, and to do that and still cover enough ground to not be underdeveloped (degrees increased from FCs to drop) - I need to enter first at a higher ROR.

Example: If I would've dropped this roast at 1:30-1:40 I would've probably only had 14-15 degrees F increase which woudl definitely be bordering underdeveloped for me....

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jan 12, 2019, 6:48 pm

Well, I've FINALLY had a chance to roast some of this. The HG/BM is a bit hard to control. However I can taste the flavors described when crunching on a bean. Here's the profile. The greens smell great to start with.

Ambient temperature was 56°F with a fan behind me gently blowing smoke out the garage door, so that somewhat cools the lid of the roaster. My thermocouple (TC) readings are running high compared to my drum roaster, so temps may be overstated.

Rolling 1C at 8:15 with TC registering 401°F. First pops were at about 394°F.
Drop at 10:36, so 2:21 past 1C with TC registering 433°F.
ROR was pretty high and it was starting to accelerate when I dropped it to prevent transition into 2C.
Weight loss was 16.4%.

1/13: First tasting impressions after letting the grounds sit a bit too long*: It's very sweet at first and still has acidity for backbone. I taste cloves, cranberries, slightly acrid bitters on top, a spicy complexity in the middle range. As it cools there's soft umami/tobacco in the background, and it's slightly salty and a whisper of roastiness in the aftertaste.

Added 1/13: I couldn't wait and brewed another cup, and this coffee is juicy. Mmmmm.

Added 1/15: I pulled an espresso this morning on the Robot, and it's a full-bodied coffee with rich crema. I used 210°F water without preheating and underextracted the acids (later I'll try a hotter pull) but did taste roastiness and a bias toward chocolate in what I did extract. I didn't get the fresh fruits that others report but did pick up sweet and sour. From this taste and Dave's comments earlier, I want to slow the ramp to assure even development, enter 1C with less momentum and take it to a lower drop temperature, something like 418°F. Ironically in the curve above that drop temp would have anticipated and prevented the flick in ROR. I'll also want to turn off the exhaust fan while finishing the roast to sense the transition from vinegary to sweet. Pulled hotter and as a normale confirms taking this too dark. There's a balance between sweet and sour and a moderate roasty, nutty and astringent aftertaste. I'm glad the HG/BM takes small batches so this one will go in milk drinks.

* I don't know if these flavors fully bring out what is in this coffee or this particular roast because I ground it early in the morning after roasting, intending for it to sit for two hours to degas. Well, I tasted it about four hours later, after sleeping in. Now I'm rested. I expect the coffee will taste very good as it rests.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sherrycobysam

Postby sherrycobysam » Jan 15, 2019, 9:38 am

I had a much lower tech roast, using a FreshRoast 500. I started with the Sweet Marias technique of going to cool for 30 seconds after the first minute of drying and then roasting on low as per Liberty Roasters advice. The fan is used to modulate temp. This had a very distinct berry flavor, sweet and just about the nicest cup of coffee I've had since I've been paying attention

I drank it as an Americano, pulled on the Robot and ground with the Malghut MG-1. Really amazing!

hbn

Postby hbn » Jan 28, 2019, 12:07 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE this coffee

I've only been in to coffee for 6 months, espresso for 4 months, and roasting for 3 months. I'm new to this and still learning, but, this is by far the best espresso I've had, whether at home or one of the many local cafes I've been to

I use a bread machine / heat gun for roasting

It was 38f outside when I roasted this. I just couldn't wait for better weather after receiving the beans from another forum member. I've never tried roasting in such frigid weather. I noticed after a few minutes my roast would take too long if I didn't bump up the temperature on the heat gun, so that is the weird bump/jump in the chart

Rolling first crack started at 10 minutes in, around 385f on my sensor

I slightly lowered the temperature after first crack, and dropped at 12min, around 410f on my sensor

These are probably the most aromatic, delightful beans I've had the pleasure of smelling.

2 days later, I got lucky and it took me only 2 shots to dial in. Params were 19.2g in, 38.3g out, in 27 seconds, with my gaggia PID temp set at 212f

There's no way I can describe the taste like you experienced folks. All I can say is the flavor was EXPLOSIVE, super fruity, and extremely pleasant.

Next up: Cold brew and pour over.

I'll be really sad when I run out

Chert

Postby Chert » Jan 29, 2019, 12:50 am

I'm chewing a bean from my roast of this one from tonight. I like to keep a roasted supply so my latte drinker can stay very pleased with her morning coffee! I dropped just at end 1C as the tryer told my nose it was a good time to end it.

This bean tastes like bourbon barrel aged coffees should.

I like this one, a bit less sweet however than the earlier roasts of this coffee and doesn't please her quite as well. Maybe with a few more days rest she will come around.

But I tried lighter still. If I like this, I'll try to stretch EOD to 1C a bit more with another go. I am using 225 g charge so the BT is more air compare to bean temperature and so crack measures out at a hotter point.

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Jan 30, 2019, 1:51 pm

Chert wrote:This bean tastes like bourbon barrel aged coffees should.

It's not bourbon barrell aged though? I don't get that correlation. It is quite fruity for a washed coffee; in fact I would never guess it was washed by smelling it or brewing it. I've found that it seems to like quicker brew times (more coarse grind) where acidity is still alive to balance the fruit.

yakster

Postby yakster » Jan 30, 2019, 4:57 pm

http://www.tampertantrum.com/the-history-of-bourbon/ to tie in the coffee, the whiskey, and the royal house.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Chert

Postby Chert » Jan 30, 2019, 5:01 pm

dale_cooper wrote:It's not bourbon barrell aged though? I don't get that correlation. It is quite fruity for a washed coffee; in fact I would never guess it was washed by smelling it or brewing it. I've found that it seems to like quicker brew times (more coarse grind) where acidity is still alive to balance the fruit.

That's right. Yakster offers an interesting link. I get a fruity winey bourbonwhiskey-y smell and taste that I like more than barrel aged coffees I have tried. That's what I was saying.

chuckcoffee

Postby chuckcoffee » Jan 31, 2019, 8:52 am

Wow!, what a great coffee. Roasted this on Sunday outside -8 deg C. Had to get roasting in before the freeze set in. Did this as my 3rd batch so the drum was nicely warmed up. Running 1 lb batches.

The aroma (very heady) coming off the coffee the following day was reflected in the cup. Mouth feel is great initial fruit berry flavors with then chocolate fig notes. I'm just starting to be able to taste all these flavors in all my roasts so my ability sometimes to describe is limited. Prior to attending Scott Rao's class back in the fall lat year it was primarily woody notes with fleeting hints of fruits, LOL.

The first day or 2 post roast there was a little bit of dryness at the end but that seems very muted on day 4. Maybe due to the flick at the end of the roast. Going to work on that flick but I suspect I will have finished my coffee by the time I come closer on that.

Ignore the gas line. I run full gas 6 kpa after 1 min and then start dropping at 310 so that near first crack I am down at 3 kpa on the Huky.