CoffeeCon 2015: call for home roasters

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
rasqual

#1: Post by rasqual »

Looking for home roasters to demonstrate their craft to the public in Chicago again this year.

Jim Smyth is going to be chief cat-herder, (a) because I'm too darned busy with so much, and (b) because he's well-suited to the job.

This is an all-volunteer gig, though you'll likely take home some greens for your trouble. It's a lot of fun; the public eats it up. If you're socially inclined, this is for you. If you're an introvert, you're welcome but the public's interest might freak you out. ;-)

Please reply if interested (check out the event's site for dates and a general feel of the event).

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

I don't know if you could what I do "demonstrating my craft" as I am still newish to home roasting, but I have been home roasting for about 5 months now, and I happen to be available that Saturday. I'm also quite outgoing and would like the opportunity to get to know some more enthusiasts in the coffee space.

I currently roast on a home made roaster which is basically a halogen convection oven with a perforated drum underneath: DIY Turbo Oven Drum Roaster

Even though I am relatively new to roasting, I know a good deal about coffee, espresso in particular, so I can be at least semi-knowledgeable in what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

-Dom
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

rasqual (original poster)

#3: Post by rasqual (original poster) »

If you think you can make it, that sounds fun!

E-mail me at scott@opensky.coffee and I'll forward you Jim's e-mail so you're in the loop.

No pressure.

chang00

#4: Post by chang00 »

FYI. Depending on the heating source of your coffee roaster, be prepared to pay a fire department permit fee.

When CoffeeCon was here in SF 2014, I paid ~$100 for the permit due to using propane as the heat source, not reimbursed by the organizer. The fire marshall came and inspected the whole set up.

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

chang00 wrote: When CoffeeCon was here in SF 2014, I paid ~$100 for the permit due to using propane as the heat source, not reimbursed by the organizer..
Because you didn't ask to be reimbursed or because they didn't comply?

jimbo57

#6: Post by jimbo57 »

As rasqual says, this is an absolute blast. I've done it in Chicago the last two years. I would do it again in a heart beat, just don't know if I can swing it this year. Life and all ....

Jimbo

#7: Post by rasqual (original poster) »

One thing I, personally, am trying to get away from, is bringing my "premium" gear. Anyone interested -- bring your popper. Your dog bowl. Yeah, bring the hacked SC/TO too (or the retain home-roasting devices) -- but the point here is to make folks aware of how accessible home roasting is (while yes, giving them a feel for what geeks do with a bit of leash). Once they try a tenth of a gram :wink: in the cheapo popper and it tastes good, they'll be self-motivating for advancing along the path on their own.

If you know anyone in the area who's just recently started home roasting, they'd be great candidates for demonstrating. There's nothing like as fresh converts enthusiasm to infect other newbies. :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Yeah, at CoffeeCon SF 2014, I brought my Behmor with roast logging software and also a popper, everyone wanted to see me roast in the popper, probably because they could see themselves doing it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#9: Post by rasqual (original poster) »

Last call (need to ensure adequate power for everyone)!

We could still use a couple people, folks. Insanely fun.

If you live too far away, re-think that. Airline tickets? It's just money... ;-)

Jvietri

#10: Post by Jvietri »

What times and how long do you need folks? I have been roasting for 2 years on my Bemorh. My Huky 500 T will arrive next week.. Do we buy tickets to the event? Details would be helpful.

Jvietri@yahoo.com