Coffee Roasting-Best Practices- Scott Rao [Book]

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Scott Rao's new book just arrived this morning, and since it's my day off, I dived right in. So far, I think this will be an extremely useful book for any roaster, hobbyist or professional. I'd love to hear a dialogue from other folks on what their impressions are. It seems more all-encompassing than his previous work.

The objective quality of the printing of the book is also of higher quality than his other books, not that his previous books were poor quality, I have all of them and they're very good, but this one looks like it was taken to a finer level of finish. Great photography, graphs, etc. I'm on chapter 3 at the moment and will probably continue on thru for the rest of the day. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone interested in roasting coffee better, it's a tiny investment that should pay good dividends. I may not always agree with how he appeals to authority ["I have used over 300 machines and have analyzed data from hundreds more"( I don't think he could name 300 different roasters, even accounting for simple batch size variants) so that seems a bit grandiose], but I know without a doubt he's got more experience than any of us, so it doesn't IMO need even be said. Overall, I still think the more information that is shared on how to roast coffee well, the better for all of us, so I highly recommend folks get his book.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I saw this on Instagram a few days ago and have been thinking about buying this book.

I appreciate your thoughts on it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpreiser

#3: Post by jpreiser »

Thanks for the heads up and your thoughts on it. I recently finished The Coffee Roaster's Companion (as well as Rob Hoos's book) but wasn't aware of this one coming out.

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

I'm excited to get mine. I ordered it as soon as I saw the IG post.

bradm

#5: Post by bradm »

Received my copy a few days ago and already put some of the recommendations to the test in the Bullet. It's clear this book will improve my (limited) skills. I like the straight to the point style, with meaningful roast curve illustrations that show familiar problems. There is still plenty of room for another book focused on small home roasters, but some mention of "special" situations for non-traditional production roasters is helpful as you try to bridge the gap to a home roasting machine.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Checked out his web page. It shows a TOC for the book but image is too small to read. What's most relevant for a home roaster?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

chuckcoffee

#7: Post by chuckcoffee »

Placed an order this afternoon. Thanks for posting

Madman13

#8: Post by Madman13 »

I received the book today, have not read it in depth cover to cover yet but checked out each section and think it looks fantastic so far. I took one of his roasting courses virtually about a year ago which really upped my roasting game... this book seems to encompass all that information and more. Also love all the graphs and pictures.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

And the name of the book is????????????? I don't do instagram, text, etc. I have a dumb phone.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

It's called "Coffee Roasting Best Practices"

https://www.scottrao.com/products
-Chris

LMWDP # 272