Choosing thermometry equipment for home roasting - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Arpi

#21: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

In the US, you can find the Voltkraft K204 as Omega HH309A.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH309A&nav=

I've never seen the one without data storage (cheaper). It is probably only distributed in Taiwan(where is originally made) and Europe.

Cheers

Whale

#22: Post by Whale »

I also wanted to get the K204 without the data logging to use with Artisan but could not find any distributor in America.
I have not taken the time to shop around for the best place to order from over the ocean. Anyone as a suggestion?
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

slickrock

#23: Post by slickrock »

Arpi wrote:Hi.

In the US, you can find the Voltkraft K204 as Omega HH309A.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH309A&nav=

I've never seen the one without data storage (cheaper). It is probably only distributed in Taiwan(where is originally made) and Europe.

Cheers
What about the Omega HH802U / HH802W thermometer? This appears to be supported by Artisan, yet it is less expensive than the HH806AU, which is a data logger, with memory features I don't need. However, the sampling rate of the 802 is only 1 second compare to the 806, which is 2.5 times/sec. Would the lower sampling rate of the 802 affect performance with the Artisan software?

Also, is the wireless option of the 802 or 806 supported by Artisan, assuming it works the same way as the USB in emulating a COM port? Does anyone know the OEM for the companion wireless USB receiver? I would like to run this on Mac O/S and the OEM might have drivers for this platform.

Thx.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

Arpi

#24: Post by Arpi »

Hi

I forgot about the H802. The artisan H802 compatibility is based on the H806. It uses same software and everything, but it has never been actually tested with artisan. The lower sampling rate should not affect the performance as the sampling rate in artisan can be set to whatever you want.

The H802-Wireless probably works but you may need to manually enter the serial configuration settings (probably different). And it may also need to set the meter ID to 00.

Cheers

scoobs

#25: Post by scoobs »

Hi

The solutions all seem to be quite expensive, I found something that works out quite a lot cheaper.

I use two Victor 86C digital multimer's, $50 each at http://www.dealexcel.com, they both have a USB interface for datalogging. They read to 0.1C and are accurate to ±(1.0%+5), there is also a 86B which reads to 1C, both work fine with the software.

I use them with some free software that I got from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/green_bean ... logger.htm , the software supports two temperature inputs. The software, as well as the Victor DMM's, can also interface with a Arduino (open source hardware), Tenma 72-7712 or Uni-T UT322 digital thermometers. I use a standard Type-K probe which seems to work fine and is very sensitive to temp changes.

Not sure if they work with the artisan software but the roastlogger from Greenbean fits my requirements so haven't tried it out but will check if you guys are interested.

JohnB

Arpi

#26: Post by Arpi »

Hi

Artisan is not compatible with the Victor 86C digital multimeter. But in the latest version, it allows to connect to other PC programs. The program would need to print the temperature(s)

Artisan also works with plain pen and paper (cheapest). For example you would record the time and BT of 4 points with a pen like:

CHARGE 400F
DRYEND 300F at 05:00
FIRSTCRACK 390F at 08:00
DROP 433F at 12:00

Then load those times-temperatures in the tool called Designer and click the button Create (right click context menu).

There is also a device called "None" that uses no meter and it is also 100% free (no device needed).

Cheers

slickrock

#27: Post by slickrock »

Arpi wrote:Hi

I forgot about the H802. The artisan H802 compatibility is based on the H806. It uses same software and everything, but it has never been actually tested with artisan. The lower sampling rate should not affect the performance as the sampling rate in artisan can be set to whatever you want.

Cheers
Arpi, what sampling rate to use from profiling with Artisan? Is there an advantage to set it faster than 1 second (provide better averaging, accuracy)? Or should you sample slower than 1 second (less data, better data processing performance, levels out noise, outliers, etc.)? If there is no advantage, then the 802 seems like a better value.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

Arpi

#28: Post by Arpi »

slickrock wrote:Arpi, what sampling rate to use from profiling with Artisan?
The sampling rate is chosen based on the computational power of your computer and the response of your meter. If recording feels sluggish at 1 second sampling rate, then change it to 2 seconds, 3 seconds, etc, till it feels OK.
slickrock wrote: Is there an advantage to set it faster than 1 second (provide better averaging, accuracy)?

No. It would do more number crunching and the curves would appear tighter (closer points), but that is no good. If the sampling rate was too small, then the timing between each sample would lose accuracy in the overhead, and the delta curves would become more jittery. The time is obtained from the operating system. So actually, a larger sampling rate can in theory give a somewhat better delta value (more accurate). From what I've seen, most people use ~ 3-4 seconds sampling rate. I use 1 second.
slickrock wrote:If there is no advantage, then the 802 seems like a better value.
Yes, only if you are planning to use it with artisan connected. There could be other uses that may later pop out.

Cheers